PDA

View Full Version : Cypress mulch in larger quantities

GuinnyOne
11-20-2005, 05:02 AM
In a couple months, I will be receiving new housing for my tegus, redfoot tortoises, burmese...well, basically all the reptiles. But the ones I just listed are ones that do very well with cypress mulch.

But we are talking about 8x4 foot cages. And those stinkin' little 8 quart bags aren't going to do it.

How does one find safe, larger bags/quantities of the stuff? I was thinking local nurseries might have it. But is it safe? Kelly

Teiidae
11-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Try Home Depot and Lowes as well as nurseries - Depends on your area - I'm stuck buying it from the herp store here and it's pricy...

MO
11-20-2005, 07:22 PM
I've been using the fine Orchid Mulch/bark. I get it at Orchard Supply and Hardware for $8. for a huge bag. I haven't had any luck finding Cypress mulch for cheap.

GuinnyOne
11-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks guys. Hey Mo, I'm in California too....so maybe I'll check into the orchid bark. Heck, I'll probably just send hubby to Orchard, Lowe's and Home Depot the next time he is down in the valley. Kelly

MO
11-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Where in California do you live? Maybe you can stop by the house and check out my new Tegu. I can't seem to get him to come out from under the substrate and he's not eating much. I've only had him for a couple weeks so I'm thinking maybe he's just adjusting but I keep looking at the baby Tegus in the Photo's and mine looks really skinny compared to others.

I'm probably just being a nervous mom. He's only eaten one large fuzzy and a couple bites of ground turkey, everything else is just left in his bowl to rot!

It also hides in it's substrate all the time. I never see it unless I dig it up to bask. I'm worried...

GuinnyOne
11-21-2005, 01:30 AM
I sent you a private message. So check your group PM's :D

zarnach
11-21-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm looking for cypress too with no luck. We used to get big bags at a reptile store for 15ea but since we moved, H. Depot and local nurseries here only have fir.

I don't even rember why it was important to get cypress. Anyone know? What I do rember is that other types of mulch naturally have fungus when you buy it. I know for sure cypress is safe b/c he drops food and scoops it up with some here and there.

GuinnyOne
11-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Cypress is supposed to be very good because it can hold humidity without molding. But I have seen posts on orchid bark also.

Fir is considered a soft wood, like pine and cedar. Very fragrant and the phenols, when inhaled, get into the blood stream and can cause respiratory damage in mammals...I know I have seen posts linking respiratory and liver failure in reptiles to the use of cedar shavings. I know that a lot of the higher end horse facilities in my area stopped using cedar years ago because it was causing problems with stalled horses even.

Aspen is supposed to be alright...but some brands seem to be rougher than others. I don't like to use it much.

I use cage carpet with my cornsnakes and baby torts. They do well on it.