PDA

View Full Version : hideots

shadow
11-23-2005, 12:36 AM
i just got my tegu this saturday and i need some ideas about makeing some hideouts that are low in cost. also dose anyone know how to make a faux rock cave or hide out.

Shan
11-28-2005, 10:24 PM
I am sorry I didn't see this any earlier. I have a few hides in my enclosure but the one that Gooch seems to go in the most is this one.
http://www.www.thetegu.com/modules/Gallery/albums/ShansReps/100_2102.thumb.jpg
All I did was get a one gallon container for juice or making Koolaid. I berried it in the mulch and made sure it was covered with a big mound too. It really keeps him warm. He loves it very much!! Good luck!

shadow
11-29-2005, 10:01 PM
ok ill try that thank you

Nero557
03-03-2006, 11:01 AM
I use a large rubbermaid (storage like container) for my tegu, but I also have a 5ft savannah that uses a hide that i built. it cost me nothing because i just found scraps of wood in my house that i could use, but home depot and lowes have scrap wood boxes that you can just buy the stuff out of. I just basically used a big piece for the top and then made three sides, like a box basically. I made it so it's as low to the ground as it can be with him still being able to fit underneath it. he loves it and goes in it all the time, so maybe you could try that. I know that this was posted a while ago, but this info might help someone out in the future.

YorkOC
03-03-2006, 04:23 PM
I use an upside down cat litter box with a hole cut in the front so he can crawl through. You can get them super cheap at walmart.

yeaitsdave
03-03-2006, 04:31 PM
I have a pot (like used for planting) on end filled with dirt that he climbs in and fills up.

Also, I made a cave out of bricks that he uses regularly, just be careful to make sure they are secure.

Johelian
03-04-2006, 09:08 PM
We have four or five big pieces of cork bark which are just placed on top of the mulch; our tegu will dig underneath them (they arent heavy enough to crush him) and make his own burrows underneath. It can be pricey depending on where you buy it, but its got a nice naturalistic look and will encourage natural behaviours in your tegu.