PDA

View Full Version : The mouse electric chair

saided
02-09-2011, 09:08 AM
So I read a few pages on peoples methods of killing rats and mice humanely on another thread, and my boyfriend and I were discussing what we thought was the best way. He was like "what about a taser or a stun gun/ cattle prod?" they give people and livestock a pretty good shock, I'm sure it would stop the heart of a mouse or rat if the voltage was cranked up.

There are rechargeable ones for like 100 bucks.

Has anyone done this?!/ Does it work?

laurarfl
02-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Electrocution is not considered a humane method of euthanasia. It can be slow. The common method that is considered the most humane is the CO2 chamber. From what I understand, it is easy to set up at home. I believe another common method that is swift is to grab the base of the tail and either with by swinging or using a holding block, severing the head from the spinal cord.

HernandosMom
02-09-2011, 03:37 PM
I agree about electrocution not being humane. If you think about people struck by lightening, it's not like they're tickled by the experience. And tasers are used as a sublethal (usually) form of discipline because they cause excruciating pain even in a psychotic person who would not respond to mace or tear gas.

STLherps
02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Im gonna have to agree on not electricuting them. Like Laura said you can buy a small critter keeper and block all the holes or just make a wood top with a small hole. Buy a air line, the ones used for bubbles in fish tanks. Put a hole the size of the air tube into a water bottle. Fill the bottle with dry ice and a little water and shake. The rats wont even notice, they start moving slowly and die pretty quick. I personally just cant slam em against a wall or hit with a hammer.

Pikey
02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
u can also use the same set up and a CO2 tank with an air hose. (a paint ball gun "remote line" works good and is like $25 for a cheap one)
get a 20oz tank like $40 and you get them refilled at any welding shop.

that way you can reuse it over and over just get it refilled.

saided
02-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Ya I guess it probably isnt the most humane way, but it is a way. haha, Ya i could never smash one with a hammer, They are too cute when they are alive. The gas chamber method seems like the best way I agree :P