PDA

View Full Version : Roaches Illegal Here.

LittleWiseOwl
03-07-2011, 07:54 AM
What alternative can I use? I cannot acquire roaches where I live because they are illegal in Canada.

I can get them ILLEGALLY but I'd honestly prefer not to. I'd love to have a colony though...

Godspeed
03-07-2011, 11:08 AM
What's the reason illegal acquiring roaches as both pets and food items in Canada exactly?
I live in Tokyo Japan and most of roaches from foreign countries are avairable including Madaguscal Giant roaches/red roaches/
Dibia etc
and I used to keep 5speacies of roaches with me, also enjoyed the breeding
They are adorable

You cannot keep roaches, then use crickets/grass hoppers
They are quite easy to get in pet shops(I guess in Canada as well)

One thing, insects are just "snack" for lizards
You cannot feed them mainly(you feed them on baby/young lizards)
You must dusting some suppliments or got-loading on insects all the time just before your feeding
I make "my special super insect" at home! lol
I fill up some suppliments/reptomin into insect's stomach with a injection directly hahaha
It's better than dusting or got loading

LittleWiseOwl
03-07-2011, 12:17 PM
They're regarded as an invasive species. So, no one is legally allowed to import and distribute exotic roach species to the public.

The only way someone is allowed to keep exotic insects such as roaches, mantids, stick insects is if they have a certified insectarium, museum or butterfly house.

I only ask because crickets seem way too small for a large tegu to consume, even as a part of a varied diet. I also cannot find captive grasshoppers either.

Godspeed
03-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Then You use some crawfish/crab etc
They are also kinda Crustacea as same as insects
Also (maybe)shops sell them
Usually they have S/M/L sized crabs/crawfish, the big one will be good size for your tegu

Both insects and crawfish/crab are including high mount of Calcium and chitin/chitosan
chitin= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitin
chitosan=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitosan

Both provide rich nourishment for your tegu
Also crawfish/crab contents high carotenoid
Carotenoid will make colour more reddish
Red tegu could change as more reddish with carotenoid
Also Crustacea will make your tegu's jaw strong

I think crab/crawfish are much better foods than roaches

LittleWiseOwl
03-07-2011, 01:08 PM
I can definitely find crabs/crawfish. Thank you. :)

What about raw, whole shrimp?

Godspeed
03-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Shrimps also are good food of course mate
They are also kinda Crustacea

Feed some "hard-bodied" Crustacea, then your tegu will be strong!^0^

LittleWiseOwl
03-07-2011, 01:40 PM
What about mollusks such as small clams, small mussels, and snails? Can tegus ingest these and digest their shells?

Godspeed
03-07-2011, 01:53 PM
I feed mollusks/snails/red-rams-horn and other shells on my tegu as well
But Do not try to keep land-snails
They are "poop-machine"and being dirty(keeping land snails is easy BTW)

I take land snails at a garden and soon I put them in a freezer and keep for two weeks or so
then (most) parasitic insects will be killed in frozen
and I boiled them before I feed on my tegu, then all germs will be died, double bacterial killing,
then I can feed them on my tegu
I don't want to use raw land snails for my reps

On the other hand, I keep&breed some water shells in a tank including red-rams horns with tropical fishes
They will be great items for your tegu and they increase almost before you realizes it

LittleWiseOwl
03-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Thank you for your fast replies. :)

Digby Rigby
03-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I have often found suitable items at places such as Whole Foods Market and similar places. THey have live oysters and clams, as well as small whole fish such as smelt and sardines. in the refrigerated section of the seafood department. Dont get canned. Also snails such as escargot snails can be used. Button quail reproduce very fast nd are suitable as well as rats and mice. Nightcrawlers also.

Nessie
03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
I thought about using roaches as they are pretty easy to get but the idea of one getting out scared the crap out of me. I feed f/t rodents, fancy worms when they were little, ground chicken or turkey, chicken and turkey gizards, some places will sell a ground meat that contains bones/meat/organs, once in a while I give lean ground beef, hard boiled eggs are options but mine aren't fans, I give whole shrimps but not often as they give my guys the runs and thats the same with salmon and other fish. There is a falconry in Toronto that sells frozen day old chicks for 10 cents a piece he sells in 100pc lots. There are so many things you can give your Tegu, your options aren't limited to roaches.

LittleWiseOwl
03-17-2011, 03:17 AM
I heard from my exotics teacher (the curator of Reptilia) that the Falconry place was going to stop selling those chicks to the public. He may have been talking about a different place though...