PDA

View Full Version : Personal Tegu behavior informations

txrepgirl
02-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Hi everyone. Dana had a very good idea ( suggestion ). So I thought I make a new thread about this. It's about observations of Tegus captive behavior from an empirical basis. In other words, it wouldn't be a "My Tegu is so cute", but more of a journal of Tegu behaviors witnessed by their owners. For instance; feeding responses, periodic bad moods, awake sleep cycle irregularities, ability to learn, displays of what could be some sort of need for attention, comfort zones, breeding, impaction, shedding and so on. This could also include taming problems and suggestions and personal stories of the process used by owners. Photos and videos would help alot.

Thank you Dana for letting me use a part of your description about your suggestion :) .

Dana C
02-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I have watched my Tegus and their feeding habits during brumination. Like many accounts that I have read, they wake up and usually consume a few bites of whatever I have out, usually the standard turkey blend. Occasionally, however they will eat quite a bit before heading back into the substrate.
I came up with a couple of thought about this:
In the wild, a good deal of their range in Argentina the night time temperatures sink into the 40's or high 30's. Daytime temperatures are usually in the 60's to very low 70's during their hibernation period. We on the other hand keep our houses comfortable, usually in the 60's or 70's during the winter plus many using heat emiters and provide lighting "just in case". With warmer ambient temperatures Tegus metabolize faster and thus need to feed to some extent when they awake from their brumination "naps".
While I am not able to do the science on this, I do know that a juvenile pair that I have are in a colder room than than Gordo, my big boy. They have barely touched food for over a month, while Gordo, in a warmer room, ate quite a bit a few days ago and enjoyed a couple of mice yesterday. This obviously cannot be considered proof of my theory but my guess is that how we keep our houses has something to do with it. Those who house their Tegus outside most likely have true hibernation cycles as do those who those whose Tegus are kept in garages which may drop into the low 40's at night.

bubblz
02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Quite a few things play into hibernation, location would have to be considered as well. :-) But it wouldn't hurt to try and have a few people in the same area do a little experiment.

Other than that this post reminded me of Natsuki this summer the first time he came across Mint growing in the back yard and practically lost his mind. I caught the end of his reaction and can post the video when I get home for those who haven't seen it but it's not as intense as when he first saw it. From that point until it died he would make a trip to that spot when ever he was out in the yard, the same as his marking spot on the other side of the yard. I know some animals love mint for different reasons and uses but I never really thought about it with tegus until I saw his reaction.

Dana C
02-10-2012, 12:40 AM
You are correct. Lattitude makes a huge difference. The length of days makes a difference. I spoke with a breeder of Colubrids who said that you really can't fool most reptiles with artificial lighting. They know, according to him an others what season it is, and what they should be doing. He also said that even though the ambient temperature may be 70f inside, they will sense the temperature outside of your house. Of course, I don't know if this is a proven behavioral thing but I suspect that it may be correct. My house is pretty much the same as it has been since October and I have kept lighting the same in one of my Tegu cages just to see what the effect would be. Everyone bruminated a pretty much the same time regardless of light and ambient temperature in my house.
Once again, I am not a biologist, but an observer.

laurarfl
02-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I think there are atmospheric pressure changes that come into play as well, humidity changes, etc.

As for timing. I have one that goes down a bit earlier than everyone else. When they came up a few weeks ago, I thought it was the normal temporary basking. Perhaps it is because we have had a mild winter, but all three that live in the garage are up and eating. Their activity level is not back the their normal, but they come out every day and bask regularly.

Lord_Duron
02-10-2012, 08:42 PM
You know I have no clue what makes Tegus Hibernate. There was this one bloak who own some Tegu's in a desert type area and he stated that regardless if the weather was in the 80 - 100 deg outside his tegu's would be burrowing and going into hibernation when it was their time. I strongly believe that the Tegu's make a decision to Hibernate or not . I've heard of many ppl saying there Tegu wake up and eat and drink and what have you then go back to sleep for a couple of days. Where as when Tila went to sleep the heffa was out for the next 6 months straight and you never seen her only reason i knew she was still alive was because I would Tap the bark she was under once per week and she would move a bit.

Have anyone ever notice on how Snake and Lizards fight you about going back into their cages lol and that only certain reptiles does it?
The Leo i have Reptill > Loves going back into her housing there's like nothing in her cage but she is just happy as a lark when there something to clean up in it.
My Florida King Snakes fight like hell to go back in from wrapping around the nearest object to huggin the top of the cage or grabbing onto the cage top lol
My Tegu Tila also would grab the lip of the cage to delay her return and when you do get her back in she stands up against the wall and jumps up and down at you until you take her back out
My Hognose snake Makino this girl doesnt care either way she's good on you she's good in her cage.

Dana C
02-10-2012, 08:43 PM
I think you are right. Barometric pressure has much more influence on all animals than I think has been described in journals. Gordo, my large male I have only owned since late December. When I got him, I gave him a bath and he drilled into the substrate and I didn't see him for three weeks. He was up and about for a day and went back to his, what I know think is brumination. Yesterday, a really nice day for Idaho, close to 50f, I found him up and when I entered the room he was right at the door. He laid his head in my hand as it seems he likes having his chin stroked along with his cheeks. He kept staring at me, which was a little unnerving because he is so large. I thought he may be hungry after not eating for a couple of months. I thawed an adult mouse which I gave him with tongs. He had it down in about 2 seconds. He still was at the door staring so I thought he wanted more. I thawed a small log, 3" x 1 1/2' of ground venison, beef liver, gizzards and calcium which he ate instantly. I thought perhaps due to the huge amount he ate, he was up. Today however, it is overcast and the barometer is falling. He is buried again which I think is largely weather related.
As a side note, he was still at the door after his meal. I opened the door to check the temp with my temp gun and he came toward my hand. On the rare occasions when he has been awake, I stroked him but he was groggy so I was fairly sure he really didn't "know" me. Frankly I was nervous when he started nuzzling my hand. I was bitten once by Eva when she did that but it wasn't a serious bite and she has never done it again. Gordo, on the other hand looks like hh really could do some damage with his huge mouth. He nuzzled a bit until he wormed his head between my first two fingers and laid his fat body down, completely relaxed. I figured it out, he wanted his chin and jowls rubbed. He laid his head in my hand and was content.
I don't mean this to be a cute story. I just found his attempt at communication via body language really interesting. Eva has done similar things. I have to admit that I was a little scared of Gordo but his complete relaxation on my hand was a beautiful experience.

bubblz
02-10-2012, 09:19 PM
@ Lord_Duron ,.. do they,.. when Natsuki's put back in his enclosure before he wants too he'll flip over and rearrange everything in it that he can in disgust before passing out. When Korben's not ready he'll try just about everything from trying to jump down, on top of the enclosure or run back up my arm. There was this one time when he grabbed the base of the door frame with both hands as I was putting him in. He turned his head and gave me this look like "aww come on not yet" lol. So I tapped the base of his tail, he whipped me and ran inside posturing and huffing. Smh,.. he was obviously not happy about that.

As for the mint, I posted the video on here before;
http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.php?10859-Mint

RamblinRose
02-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Now that is really neat and interesting Bubblz. He is just like a cat playing in catnip. :)

txrepgirl
02-14-2012, 05:17 AM
This one is a different subject. Our Spatzi came out of burmation. I just let our Tegus roam around one by one in case they get into a fight ( one time Zeus the smaller one bit Leonidas in the leg. Leo didn't do anything just walked away ). When Spatzi smelled the other Tegus he started to mark the floor lol ( the other males do that, too ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvWWdxRl6o&feature=youtu.be

Dana C
02-14-2012, 02:13 PM
How do they mark? Do they do it with urine? How much fluid is it. That really is interesting and I would love to know if that has been observed in other owners Tegus

laurarfl
02-14-2012, 02:36 PM
The tegus walk and drag their vents along the ground in a swishy manner. I would think there are pheremones from the femoral pores (didn't tupinambis tell us that?) that they are using to mark the ground with their scent. My red male rubs along everything....the floor, over the rungs of a chair, the rug.

I have a B/W female that has become "the boss" and she marks as well. She started after she laid her first clutch of eggs. Now she marks and attacks all other tegus, even though she didn't breed last year. I don't know if it is dominance behavior or leftover nesting behavior.

Dana C
02-14-2012, 06:19 PM
I have always thought that the intelligence of any creature could be measured by a few things. The ability to learn as in, how to get what they want from humans, communicating same and innate curiosity.
Case in point, Gordo again. Since he bit me, I have paid much attention to what he is feeling or trying to communicate. For instance, after he ate while in the bathroom, he tried to climb into the bath tub a couple of days ago. I know he associates the tub with bathing and doesn't always like it and occasionally only stays in for 5 or 10 minutes. He frequently does his business there as well. When I observed him trying to get into the bath tub I came to the conclusion that he wanted a bath and the bath tub was where the bath was. I ran some warm water in the tub and in he went, (with a little boost). He learned where the bath happens and went there.

In terms of curiosity, animals / reptiles search for food and appear to be exploring when infact, it is just a hunt for food. Gordo on the other hand while in the bath room is fascinated by the towels above his reach and wants them. He also has to see what is on the toilet lid. While in his room, which is a mess because I am modifying his cage, he truly explores. He makes sure he checks out my tools, empty boxes, a throw rug that is in a heap, the closet and just about everything in the room. He then makes a couple of perimeter rounds and then heads to my lap. During his exploration he does "check in" with me periodicallyfor a quick pat and resumes his patrol.
All this happens after he has fed so I know it is not a hunt for food or prey. I have to believe this displays curiosity which goes beyond what some would think or believe a lizard is capable of. In other words he is just curious I think and that it is a display of intelligence by itself.
It is sort of like the chicken crossing the road to see what is on the other side story.

bubblz
02-15-2012, 03:17 AM
Besides the pores they also mark using their poo and or urine. Usually after they poo they swing their tail either to the left or right side to avoid touching it while walking away. When marking they drop their tail and drag it through the poo sometimes while swinging their hips and tail at the same time.

txrepgirl
02-15-2012, 07:20 AM
When they are marking the floor I always take a paper towel to clean that erea. But I never saw anything there ( any liquid ). Now I do see them drag their vent on the floor/tub after they pooped, peed and lifted their tail to the side. Like they want to clean their vent this way.

laurarfl
02-17-2012, 02:54 PM
My male red continually walks that way, so you would be following him forever, lol! All of my lizards (and snakes) lift their tail out the poo. The lizards seem to walk a bit to wipe their vents. For some reason, I thought it was interesting. Most animals have a way of voiding that keeps them clean. poop...er...food for thought

Dana C
02-17-2012, 03:08 PM
One of the things I find interesting is the fastidiousness of my Tegus. They clean their vents and wipe their faces after eating. Gordo, when he has to "go", really creates a scene in his cage wanting out. Every time I see him do that, I take him directly to the bathroom and into a warm bath in which he does his thing almost right away. Then he wants out. My conclusion is that he doesn't want to go in his enclosure.

Dana C
02-17-2012, 03:34 PM
My male red continually walks that way, so you would be following him forever, lol! All of my lizards (and snakes) lift their tail out the poo. The lizards seem to walk a bit to wipe their vents. For some reason, I thought it was interesting. Most animals have a way of voiding that keeps them clean. poop...er...food for thought

I rush Gordo to the bathroom, (see below), put him in the bath and he farts in the bathtub, bubbles and all.....must be a guy thing.:shock:

txrepgirl
02-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Laura. Yes, I would lol. But now when I don't see any urates or poop I know they are just marking. So I gave up on trying to clean something when nothing is there :) .

Dana. You mentioned ( see below ), but I don't see anything ( like a link ) below your post.

Dana C
02-20-2012, 04:39 PM
A user on another forum asked if a Tegu could be potty trained. I gave it some thought and came up with the notion that yes, the could indeed be at least acclimated to a potty routine if not "trained" like dogs and cats.

Gordo, who is now awake for a few hours almost everyday, wants out around 4:00 PM. When he really needs to go, his in cage demonstrations are much more animated. When I take him out, I take him immediately to the bathroom with a tub partially filled with warm water. After about 10 minutes into his soak, he does his thing and wants out. Thinking back during the three months or a little less that I have owned him, he has never gone in his cage.

I started thinking that he is a very fastidious animal like many have pointed out. Moreover, he doesn't want to soil his cage and waits for his bath which comes at roughly the same time daily. In other words, he has been potty trained in a sense. He expects, I suppose the routine and holds it until it is time for a bath. He doesn't go on the floor, on the carpet and in fact, no where else but in the bathtub.

The rest of the routine consists of a meal after the dump and a little exploring the bathroom and a finally a snooze in my lap as I sit on the bathroom floor with a cocktail.

txrepgirl
02-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Our Tegus are like that, too. But there is a time that they do go potty in their encosures because we were either at work, cleaning or doing other things at that time. But when they do go in their enclosures they want to get out right away. Like they want to say " hey, take me out, it stinks in here lol ".

Dana C
02-22-2012, 05:06 AM
I am sure that people that have not witnessed it could or would not believe how much a Tegu can be in tune with their person. Case in point: Tonight Gordo decided to wake up late. It was obvious he was uncomfortable and beginning to shed. I took him out and bathed him for a couple minutes as he didn't want any part of a bath. I fed him in that bathroom and he ate an astounding amount of my turkey, venison, liver, gizzard, egg shell magic mix. He then crawled up into my arms and I proceeded to spend the better part of an hour peeling off skin. He loved it! After I had a huge mound and couldn't find any more skin ready to come off I thought it would be a good idea to get him back to his basking area based upon the prodigious amount he ate. When I started to get up, (he wasn't in my arms), I found that my foot was completely asleep. I struggled to stay upright and not fall. I managed but sat down for a minute to get my balance back. Much to my surprise, Gordo actually seemed concerned and immediately climbed up on me and nuzzled his head into my neck.

Any naysayer can tell me it means that he was cold and needed warmth but there was a heater register putting really warm air which Gordo loves. He by passed it an came to me. Yes, it may be my imagination I think he sensed my problem in some way and tried to help. Non Tegu people should have seen it as they would have been amazed as I was. Once again, these incredible creatures leave me at a loss for words.

txrepgirl
02-25-2012, 08:47 AM
You are so right. I'm glad you are OK.

Dana C
02-25-2012, 03:40 PM
A while back, we were discussing the effect of weather / barometric pressure on Tegu behavior. Pressure yesterday dropped in advance of a cold front. Junior and Eva didn't make an appearance at all and Gordo didn't wake up until 6:30 PM. He ate an obscene amount, burped and crawled into my lap. The snakes were in their substrate all day as well. Last night it snowed a little and it is cloudy today. I will make note of what is going on with the herps and let you know.

txrepgirl
02-26-2012, 11:03 AM
We had a cold front come in also. The Tegus didn't come out today. But our black throat did. If I wouldn't of had to get up yesterday I would of stayed in bed, too, lol.

Dana C
02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
I still want to know more about Black throats...the information on a lot the care sheets, size, weight, temperament & taming is very contradictory.

Dana C
02-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I have noticed that temperature greatly affects my adult males temperament as one would expect. For example, last evening, I had both a heat lame and a basking bulb on in Gordo's enclosure. I obviously let it get to warm for him and took him out. He was very squirmy, and wanted down immediately. Of course I put him down so he would cool off on the floor. It took a while for him to cool down and in the mean time, he was hell on wheels exploring and not wanting to be stroked, held or anything else for that matter. It was my fault for letting it get so warm and I felt terrible about it. Later, I put him back and he was his usual self, and closed his eyes when I reached in an stroked his head and rubbed his back, (he likes massages).

txrepgirl
03-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Houdini is the same way. I love to take him out when he first wakes up because he is cold and calm :) .

Dana C
03-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Yesterday, Gordo was nice and warm and wanted out, which usually means he has to get to the bathroom just as fast as he can. He took his bath, pee'd ate a little and didn't act really interested in anything else so I put him back. Fast forward about 3-4 hours. I hear an uproar in his cage and he is really wanting out again after borrowing an sleeping for few hours. I had some things to finish up so I took him out and let him wander around the room with the doors closed. After about 30 minutes I went in and found him auditioning for the remake of "High Anxiety". He was biting his own image in a clamp light fixture and was really amped about something. I sat down on the floor and talked softly to him at which point he came to me. Instead or wanting strokes or affection he latched onto the Crocks I was wearing with his teeth like they his worst enemy. I pet his head but he didn't try to bite my hand, nor did he try to bite my ankles or skin. I then remembered a couple of weeks ago when you wrote about being bit when either Houdini or another lizard was trying to tell you he was hungry. I thought that hunger may be it and Gordo was trying to tell me something in his own way. I thawed out a large portion of my turkey, beef, liver, gizzard, calcium goop and put it on the floor and sat down again. He inhaled what I thought was an impossible amount, sighed and climbed onto my leg and pancaked himself in complete relaxation.

Even in the three days I have had my Black Throat, he has become a great communicator. He rests his head on the lip of his cage which means he wants attention. I open his cage and he places his head in my hand an closes his eyes. He will reposition his head so I scratch either the sides, top or under his chin. I am going to PM you some possible names and I would like your opinion. I posted them along with pictures in the other reptiles area as well.

txrepgirl
03-13-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm sorry for replying so late to your post. I'm glad to hear that you can read his needs so well already :) . I was talking about Leonidas our Argentine b/w Tegu ( that was a long time ago ). I don't know why a lot of people say that monitors are so hard to tame or handle. I love the personality of Houdini. He does have his moments but for the most part he is very calm. I can't believe either how much the black thoats can eat lol. I thought the Tegus eat alot but wow the black thoat got them beat lol. I like the names you emailed me. You picked a great name for him ;) . I like it alot ( the one in your last email ).

Dana C
03-14-2012, 05:25 PM
We talked about the effect of barometric pressure on Tegu behavior. Another example of weather related change has occurred over the last couple of days. With storms coming in from the Pacific and light rain predicted on and on for the next few days and a falling barometer to go along with it, my Tegus, Gordo, Eva and my Black Throat, Nyeusi Kinabo and all slowed down, are eating less and waking up later in the day. My Pine snakes are hiding out as well.
It will be interesting to see how summer thunder storms affect them. In advance of summer storms the barometric drop in pressure happens much faster. My guess is that it won't be like winter or early spring low pressure.

txrepgirl
03-16-2012, 09:49 AM
It's so amazing how animals can tell if there is some bad weather coming. We don't have to watch the weather channel to know it's coming. Our dog ( he is a Vizsla ) does not want to be outside. He stands by the door and wines. Not long after that it starts to rain or storm. Our Airdale did the same thing. I wonder if they can feel a pressure in their ears when their is a storm coming.

Dana C
03-20-2012, 03:06 AM
I know this is an aging topic but today was interesting enough to mention.
I took Gordo into the bathroom after he woke up and inicated that he wanted out. I filled the bath part way with warm water and after a few minutes he did his thing and wanted out. He climbed out and I put his salad plate full of turkey, beef heart, liver, gizzard & egg goo down on the bathroom floor. He knows the sound of a stoneware plate hitting the floor and is on it! He ate a huge amount, climbed up on me and relaxed. After getting pets, strokes and attention, he wandered around and took a few more bites. After maybe 15 minutes he crawled up on me again and this time crawled over my chest and shoulder and dropped into the bath again. He got comfortable, took another crap and climbed out.

Now that is potty trained in my humble opinion.
That's my boy! :-)
Geez, I am turning into a reptile weirdo....being a proud dad to a lizard.:shock:

Read more: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=10895#ixzz1pcf1aKjV

txrepgirl
03-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Lol. Welcome to the weirdo family. I'm sure we all feel this way fron time to time ;) :) . I know I do. Yes, I see Gordo as being potty trained, too. Tell him " good job " from me. Thanks.

Dana C
04-05-2012, 06:55 PM
A question and a puzzle. Eva my 9 month old seems obsessed with being on the top of my head When she is out in the bathroom, she only explores a little and climbs into my lap up my arm to my shoulder and onto the top of my head. As most of you know, I have very little hair on the top of my head and it hurts as her claws dig into my scalp to find leverage for the climb. I have taken to putting a shirt on my head which she doesn't find quite as thrillling.
My guess is that she either likes the warmth from my head or she likes the view.
Does anyone else have a Tegu that is obsessed about climbing on them? This isn't cuddle up climbing by the way. This is explore Dana everyday.

Dana C
04-05-2012, 06:58 PM
I should also say that she often jumps off the edge of the tub back into the water. She did it several times today. She lays in the warm water for a few minutes and wants out which she accomplishes by climbing my arm. After another 10 minutes, she climbs up on me and jumps back in.

M3S4
04-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Lot's of cool tegu behavior going on in this thread.

That being said, let me know if this is an intelligent animal...

Ally my adult b&w basks out in our garden. The garden is on the side of the house and is 3' above ground level.

It's nice because it's 2' wide x 20' long, and being elevated off the ground like it is (the base is cinder blocks) it makes it hard for a tegu to want to climb down, actually they'd have a hard time even doing so.

Anyways, the few times she's been out there, she's come right up to the edge and stood in front of me - acting like she wanted something - and that something was to be picked up and moved ie; she was done and over the garden,

How did I manage to find out? I put both arms out to her, knelt down and they made a bridge she could walk on...Which she did. She walked right into my arms...I'll get it on video and post it soon enough.

Thought is was a fluke until she did it again and again and again...Now she always does it.

Took her to the park last week and she was pretty nervous, which I could easily tell...So, learning how she was at home in the garden, I knelt down and stretched my arms out in front of her and guess what? She climbed right up on them and I picked her up and brought her to the picnic table by her hide.

I learned from her, and she learned from me...Lots of other things I could add to the thread but meh, this was recent and I was totally impressed.

Dana C
04-06-2012, 02:58 AM
Please do add more. Husbandry is the most often discussed thing on this and Tegu Talk. I really wanted this tread to be ongoing and focus on captive tegu behavior described by real observers. The intricate methods of communication, the bonding, taming etc. is fascinating. It was never meant to be a "my Tegu is so cute" sort of thing. The broad set of behaviors include that but I was hoping to add to the knowledge about these very intelligent reptiles.
Actually, even monitor interaction would be welcome with Samantha's approval of course. I have the opportunity, being semi retired, to spend a lot of time just observing and interaction with my Tegus and my black throat monitor Kinabo. I enjoy every minute of it and treasure my ability to tell people about it. As I am sure you know, people that have not interacted with large lizards have no idea about how bonded they can become attached to their person....and I do mean THEIR person.

M3S4
04-06-2012, 05:17 AM
On that note, I will tell my favorite tegu story...

Before Sam, our almost 4 year old gold tegu passed, we took him to the vet for a check-up.

Keep in mind, this was his first check-up ever, so he had never been in a situation like this before.

So after filling out forms, my gf Karri and I are called back into the back to meet the vet and introduce her to Sammy. We introduced ourselves, set Sam, who was in his portable nylon dog carrier, on top of the table and learned a little bit about the procedure for a reptile check-up and nail filing. After a few minutes, she was ready to begin with the check-up...

That's when it all happened...The vet, on our word, was under the impression Sam was tame, and he was - very much so...

She unzipped the carrier, reached in, grabbed Sammy, pulled him out of the carrier and...

HE.
WENT.
NUTS.

When I say that tegu was struggling like his life was in danger, I'm not kidding. Let me tell you, that lizard was writhing, barrel-rolling, gaping, hissing, thrashing and lashing about like he thought his life was on the line...It wasn't, but he didn't know that...He didn't know the vet, who just reached in and blatantly grabbed hold of him...

So now, after only a few seconds of "tegu gone nuts", the vet's now in a state of panic. She was having a very hard time holding Sam while he thrashed about. My gf was scared and grabbing my arm because the vet was about to drop him on the floor and I was like wtf?

Had to think fast, had to do something...adrenaline going like crazy...I had to be a hero...So I came up with a super-quick, fail-proof plan...

I did the only thing I could do...I walked up to the vet and just took Sam from her...The very instant I did, he knew. I knew. Karri knew and even the vet knew...

He was just afraid of her. And he was totally comfortable with me. He trusted me. FULLY. He had bonded with me like I had never known prior to this event happening. So how do I know?

Because the very moment I grabbed him and he realized I was holding him, and not some stranger, he just chilled out and sat right in my arms; back to the Sam I had always known, and trusted.

The vet looked at all of us, puzzled, and then stated she had never, not ever, in her 25 years of working on animals seen a reptile act that way. She made the remark that dogs and some cats will undoubtedly do that, but that was the first time she had seen a reptile go berzerk then settle down at the realization they are being comforted by their owners.

That day changed my life, it was an event that while I have tried to make it a little funny for readability, is something that unless you were there, is hard to describe and very much real.

Sam was more then a lizard, or a tegu. He was a friend, one that has impacted me more then any pet I have ever had - canines included. He was the star of the show everywhere we brought him.

I love to tell that story, but I gotta say, to this day still with a heavy heart, I miss him.

Sam:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iyyaxUmJMgE/T1vWH4eGP6I/AAAAAAAAADo/x-TaLL6MXcs/s643/Sam2.jpg

Dana C
04-06-2012, 03:28 PM
That is a great story and underscores the identification capability of Tegus. The vet should have known better and could of asked you to remove him from the pet carrier prior to going hands on with him. I don't know if Gordo will be like that but it wouldn't surprise me. When someone comes over to my house, I generally ask them if they would like to see my lizards and I will usually let them give Gordo a stroke or two. The purpose isn't to show my guys off necessarily but to expose my big boys to new people smells and touch.

bubblz
04-06-2012, 05:48 PM
A question and a puzzle. Eva my 9 month old seems obsessed with being on the top of my head When she is out in the bathroom, she only explores a little and climbs into my lap up my arm to my shoulder and onto the top of my head. As most of you know, I have very little hair on the top of my head and it hurts as her claws dig into my scalp to find leverage for the climb. I have taken to putting a shirt on my head which she doesn't find quite as thrillling.
My guess is that she either likes the warmth from my head or she likes the view.
Does anyone else have a Tegu that is obsessed about climbing on them? This isn't cuddle up climbing by the way. This is explore Dana everyday.

I think it's the view, warmth and some other reasons we may not know about. Even though it's not a comfortable place for us. Dino was the same way but that was my fault since it was one of the ways I bonded with him when I got him. Just to spend time with him I would let him climb up and sit on top of my head while doing things around the house. Which isn't something he grew out of.

Dana C
04-06-2012, 08:13 PM
I did the same. At first it was cute but as she grows, her nails are longer and sink further into my balding pate. Like I said, it is better now that I put a shirt on my head. I am glad that she feels so secure with me actually.
The intelligence of Tegus and my Black Throat constantly amazes me. Yesterday after his bath and a late lunch, Kinabo, my V. ionidesi did his usual thing wandering around a closed room with me sitting on the floor with my back propped up against an ottoman. Mind you, for the last couple of weeks he has been a real ***. Whipping, hissing etc. was the order of the day. He was starting to shed and I am sure was uncomfortable which I think was the root of it all. Back to yesterday; he eventually marched up my leg to my semi reclined chest, nuzzled my beard, pancaked himself and fell asleep. Before that, I talked a lot to him as I do. He cocks his head and listens and I know he knows that it is me. His recognition of my voice is really neat.
What intrigues me is how one minute a scratch on his head or a pat on the lower back will get me a whip for my trouble and two minutes later he welcomes it. I guess it all happens in his time.

M3S4
04-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Dana,

You should try and get some videos of your tegu and monitor, would really like to see them in action...

Dana C
04-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I will try but living alone makes it is hard to take pictures of me interacting with them. I just bought a camera that will take short movies as well. I will experiment and see how it goes.

Dana C
04-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Yesterday, was going to take Evita to the bathroom for her soak and snack. She evidently didn't like the way I was carrying her and threw a complete hissey fit. She squirmed, clawed, climbed, whipped and was a crazy girl. I got her into the tub of warm water and she calmed down. I was afraid however that this might be a "bad experience" for her and would set back the taming process quite a bit.
I sat on the floor next to the tub and watched her until she tried to climb out which was her "'m done" signal. After exploring the bathroom to see if there had been any major changes since the day before including the position of the plunger, extra toilet paper rolls, (which I leave on the floor as all the lizards seem to like fooling around with them), she made her way to me to check in as always and a few minutes later crawled up my leg and onto my chest. After that she moved into her obsession with the top of my head thing.

I guess the moral of the story is that in spite of my fears about the "bad experience", Evita wasn't phased in the least. I think that I am beginning to realize that I and a lot of people on all the lizard forums over think housing, food, heating, humidity, behavior etc. Of course we worry that we are doing the right thing, have the right temperatures, lights, food etc. but too many of us get way over the top about it all. Once again, my $.02.

bubblz
04-17-2012, 05:38 PM
I think that I am beginning to realize that I and a lot of people on all the lizard forums over think housing, food, heating, humidity, behavior etc. Of course we worry that we are doing the right thing, have the right temperatures, lights, food etc. but too many of us get way over the top about it all. Once again, my $.02.

Welcome to the club, for some I think it's just beginners jitters. Wanting to do everything right and not miss anything especially something that could cause harm. I was the same way with my first Spaz, man.. did she give me a crash course. A little more relaxed with my second Dino and after that it's pretty much been easy. Once you know what's needed and get to know their behaviors and routine when everythings right or the way it should be. You should be more relaxed and able to see when somethings really not right, needs to be changed and or looked into.

But that can be applied to just about everything.

When ever the calcium supplements question is brought up it always frustrates me. I went through this phase where I questioned why I brought it, instead of just using the real thing.

bubblz
04-17-2012, 05:48 PM
A little off the subject maybe but the lack of Quarantine with tegus and other pets also frustrates me. Some people just don't take things seriously until it hits close to home or actually happens to them. But by then,.. it can be too late,.. and that's something I really don't take lightly.

Dana C
04-30-2012, 05:32 PM
:roll: How to tell you are making progress with the taming of your Tegu.
Tegus arch their backs and puff up so as to appear larger to aggressors or threats which we all know.

I figured out that Eva was coming along with her taming a while back when she would walk by my as I sat on the floor in that bathroom. I would put my hand down and she would walk underneath it. Now she stops, arches her back just about when my hand is over her hips and butt so I can give her a good lower back & but rub. She stays that way for a minute or two and moves on.
I thought you might get a kick of that.

txrepgirl
05-01-2012, 04:20 AM
:) how cute . Thanks for sharing.

Dana C
05-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Yesterday was interesting. I had Gordo out in the bathroom and was sitting on the floor in my shorts. He had his bath, ate and was seeing what was new in the bathroom. He pushed his plunger around a bit and came over to my right leg. He started poking his nose into my leg and gave me what amounted to big dog like licks. These weren't Jacobson's organ tastes. These were full tongue licks like a dog would give you. At that point my gray matter should have kicked in an recognized that it was that same thing he does when approaching food. Anyway he moved away and walked down to my lower leg. He did the same thing a couple of times but I really wasn't watching him. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him lick again and open his mouth wide. I am sure he was going to bite. I moved my leg away and gave him sharp "NO". The contemplated bite wasn't aggressive or defensive it almost seemed like an experiment to him.

He was fine after that and we had a good visit and he didn't seem fazed by it nor did he lick like that again. What puzzles me is the "why" of the thing. I didn't have any ground meat on my leg, at least that I know of. He stopped immediately on my NO and wasn't the least bit testy after nor did he try it again. He climbed all over me for attention, which I gave him.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?