PDA

View Full Version : Humidity, misters and tips

Jar_Head
01-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I have a 6'x3.5'x 4' enclosure made of wood with plexiglass front doors. I don't have proper vents on the cage, but my craftsmanship is just shoddy enough to let air come in through various places.

My temps are at 115 for the basking spot - between 90 and 100 for the ambient - and a cool side of 83-86. I use cypress mulch for my subrstrate and have a tupperware container with about 2 inches of water. One of the basking lights points directly into the water, in hopes that it will help with the humidity.

My problem is keeping the humidity where it needs to be. I spray the cypress down multiple times during the day but it dries within 30 minutes and the humiditry plummits back down into the 20's. When I spray the mulch down I just spray the top layer. Should I spray the mulch and then mix it around and spray again to ensure it's wet all the way through? What about misters - anyone have experience with them? Any other tips you might have for humidity? I've seen many other pics of cages with less ventilation than mine, where the owner says there's no problem with humidity level.

Teiidae
01-03-2006, 01:55 PM
I usually have to spray 3-4 times a day and find that the top dries out quick, however it's still damp underneath - I turn or mix the mulch daily to bring some of the damp stuff up to the top - You can also try adding some sphagnum moss to the enclosure as well to increase humidity - What is the top of the enclosure made of ? - I've never used auto misting machines as I am the machine :wink:

Jar_Head
01-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks Teiidae! I'll try rotating the mulch around. I'll see if I can find some of that moss and put some in there. I think I might need another tub of water in there as well. As I sat there and looked at it today the cage is pretty big compared to the tub of water that currently in there. The top of the cage is made of plywood. I'll get some pics of the enclosure up soon. Thanks!!

kozalmighty
01-03-2006, 05:56 PM
I am going to try a small foging system in mine. Has anyone tried that?