PDA

View Full Version : sand?

Bxstorm2nv
01-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Is calci sand good for a tegu as a substrate? It says 100% digestible? what do you think?

James_James
01-11-2005, 04:27 AM
Calci sand is said to cause impactation. I currently use Reti-bark. My Tegu likes it and is able to easily bury himself in it. However it does not hold humidity that well! I'll be useing cypress mulch next time for My substrate!

FutureVet
01-11-2005, 08:18 AM
I agree with James James on this one. Calci-sand is HORRIBLE, it's not digestable and can cause impaction. A type of mulch or bark is the best substrate for your tegu.

tegu_girl0
01-12-2005, 02:07 AM
i use half sand and half bark and it works just fine for me i feed him in a play pen and he is fine as long as u dont feed them on the sand

NO FLAMING
:)

FutureVet
01-12-2005, 02:34 AM
Well, the thing about sand is whether you feed your reptile on it or not, they will still injest sand. Lizards tongue taste Everything! Just licking the sand up in their enclosure is putting them at risk.

Johelian
01-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Sand is no good for the kind of digging that tegus do - in nature they dig deep burrows, and sand will never work for them when they try to do this in captivity. That and the digging that they do try to do will throw sand everywhere, including most likely in the their eyes, and kik up a hell of a lot of dust.

That and a tegu cage needs to be humid, and will require misting; the second you start to mist that calci-sand it will clump up into little balls. Now imagine that happening inside your tegus gut. Thats why people say not to use calci-sand full stop. :)

tegu_girl0
01-12-2005, 04:49 PM
i have it half sand cus i had a new bag for my anoles and had to let them go and i am gunna get the wood bark next time i go to the pet store.