PDA

View Full Version : Soaking and Supplements

GummiBear
05-11-2012, 03:04 AM
I have been trolling the site and looking for some other information on this so perhaps someone can point me to a thread with this information or just respond here.. I have seen a lot of posts about consistant soaking their Tegu's, if this something that needs to be doen on a daily or every other day basis? I have seen a couple of different places about different supplements that are needed, such as cod liver oil and of course calcium, are there any other important ones? If you feed a rotation of fish is the cod liver oil still necessary?
I feel like no matter how much research I did, there is so much to still learn!!
Thank you everyone!!
Cindi 3002

Dana C
05-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Cod liver oil is higher in vitamins A and D that other fish oils. Use it sparingly however as Vitamin A is stored in fatty tissue and can be problem, (hypervitaminosis A).
If you are feeding whole fish, as in really whole and uncleaned or gutted you won't need to supplement with cod liver oil. Also, if you are supplementing with a vitamin powder, you shouldn't need to add Cod liver oil to your tegu's diet.
Here is to some information on cod liver oil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_liver_oil

I feed ground meat and organs, whole small fish, FT mice, and fruit mixed in the ground meat. Everything is dusted with calcium and weekly with a vitamin powder.

Apophis
05-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Personally I soak my tegus almost every day because I live in CO and there is almost no humidity here, and because they really like it :) It seems to be very relaxing for them.

Dana C
05-12-2012, 02:36 AM
I also do it almost everyday. They like it and it gives us good one on one time as well. I soak them and feed them in the bathroom. Most of the time they crawl up on me after and crash.

Gnatilie
05-13-2012, 04:27 AM
I soak no less than every other day...and i have not given him cod liver oil as of yet as there is no store that doesn't sell it w/ orange flavoring... anyway i mix meats w/ fruits and he gets vitamin c and a multi vitamin on his meals... he generally eats every other day but lately he has been eating daily...and tomorrow i may got to the bait shop and get him some minnows to chase in the tub when he soaks cause i think he would think that is fun :) and nutritious :) way better than crickets and a good fun treat but not a regular thing

laurarfl
05-14-2012, 01:15 PM
And I rarely soak. :) My tegus live in an area where they get high enough humidity and they have large water bowls. I see them soaking in those some days. When I take them out on my back porch to hang out, I'll shower them with the hose and it makes a puddle since my porch slants down for cleaning/flooding. They'll play and lay in that.

As for supplements, I sort of play it by ear. I use Calcium w D, sometimes w/o D, and mix it with the ground turkey or boneless meat at the rate given on the label. For multi-vit right now I'm using Repashy since it has a natural source of vitamins. I also feed plant matter, so what and how often I'm feeding directs what and how often I supplement. I don't use cod liver oil.

GummiBear
05-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Thank you everyone! This is excellent information, that answers my questions! I agreed that the soaking would be flood bonding time so I tried this on Sunday with Achilles excellent results, he ravinously ate his turkey and used me as a stepping stool to get to the door. I went ahead and soaked him as well, he was nice and calm for his return to his cage where he basked on my shirt and has been dug under since probably sleeping off his food coma.