PDA

View Full Version : Roaches

Joshua
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
So after reading up on the roaches...I'm pretty much sold.

I have my one, six month B n' W tegu from Agama, who is hibernating right now. How many roaches would I need to start a colony that would be viable to feed one young tegu, when it wakes up in the spring, if I were to get started right now?

I'm still trying to decide on hissers or dubias (unless someone has another suggestion).

Rick
01-14-2006, 06:10 AM
Dubia are smaller and faster cockroaches. They are fine for smaller tegus but they are too small and fast for larger tegus. Hissers are larger and slower. They are great for small, medium and large tegus. The downside to hissers is that they climb glass and plastic but if kept in a plastic storage bin or glass tank to raise them, you can smear a small barrier of vasaline at the top of the tank/bin to keep them in.

Your tegu is likely to be up and eating like a pig shortly, so I would suggest a dozen adults and 100 small/medium hissers. The adults will do the breeding and the medium hissers can be fed while the smaller ones grow.

Rick

Fixx
01-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Blaberus gigantius are a nice size as well, plenty of meat on them and they don't climb glass/tanks.

http://www.key-net.net/users/swb/pet_arthropod/RCH.htm

Rick
01-15-2006, 07:13 PM
I have seen people selling discoids as Blaberus giganteus. Real Blaberus giganteus do have a good size to them but they are a bit expensive compared to hissers. They are also medium to slow breeders. They would be fine if you had a good colony of started adults. The hissers are medium to fast breeders.

Rick

Joshua
01-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.

I ordered some hissers (80 nymphs and four adult pairs).

CamDaLizardMan18
01-20-2006, 06:24 PM
what about lobster roaches?

can someone give me some info on their preferances and favorite types of raoches?

Rick
01-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Lobster roaches are too small and to fast.

I like hissers, discoids and fusca for my tegus. Hissers seem to be the favorite of all of my tegus. They like the huge 3+ inch roach over the smaller fusca or discoid (false death head).

Rick