PDA

View Full Version : My False Death Heads

Lord_Duron
02-14-2006, 09:14 AM
:D Wow I'm soo happy with the Roaches I receive from Blaberus.
James of Blaberus even sent me extra to make sure that when they
show up at my door I had the proper count. Which he didnt need to, everyone I receive from him came in perfect health. Even though they set at the post office for a day and a half without heat. While he did not send me any adults he did send me just ask I ask half baby nymphs and half older nymphs. Right down to the extra ones I receive. I even already have a full grown one. It looks very healthy and is a live one. Trying my best not to make it into a pet :D

For the pass week they were in my care. I could not get them to eat I would put food in the container in a bowl but nothing I've gave them would stimulate their appetite. I believe it was due to the fact they could not smell the food in their container. So I went to the store and pick up some Bearded Dragon Monster Diet from PetSmart **Which really has a strong smell**. I place it in their container and gave it five minutes and sure enough when I open the lid they were all over this stuff. Now I can feed them anything I want, just so as long as the Monster diet is in the bowl with the item I'm giving them.
they Monster Diet I'm giving them has
Crude Protein minimum 24.0%
Crude Fat minimum 8.0%
Crude Fiber minimum 9.0%
Ash Maximum 10.0%
Moisture Maximum 18.0%
Ascorbic Acid minimum 220ppm

:D Now dont be afraid to reply on this one ppl I'm welcoming everyone who raise any insect feeders to give their opinion of me allowing my feeders to eat this item :D

Englishtegu
02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
As a 'mixer' for your roaches, why not? But you'll prob find that once they've got going you don't need to include this.

Personally, I try to use a range of fruits and veggies, and I also have dry bran, rolled oats and dry dogfood in the containers at all times.

On top of that, I use all kinds of leftovers, including leftover food from other animals.

Mark.

jb
03-02-2006, 02:22 AM
roaches freak me out. i have no problem with mealworms, zophobas, wax worms, crickets, locust,pinkies...but man, ... opening up a tank full of roaches and reaching in to grab them....yeeeeaaahhhhhkkkk!!! i live in Florida and there are roaches outside and they come in my garage at night for ?wood glue when i've built a cage or something. i have a phobia. sorry, my post has nothing to do with anything.

Lord_Duron
03-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Update on My False Death Heads.
I now have myself 3 adults took forever,
I'm trying not to disrupt their way of life..
So I'm just waiting my 3months
untill their all grown and they start
breeding and increasing in numbers.

Question 1: is it alright for me to place Death Heads
in with my False Death Heads

Question 2: Are roaches like crickets and can breed
with different subspecies

Lord_Duron
04-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Dont kno why they are not breed now, most of the
ones in the trash can are adults but yet i see no nympths
i have a med size uth tank on the side of the tank because
it was heating up the bedding too much i moved it to the side
of the walls of the trash can, and they've still yet to produce any
offspring. Maybe the high heat made it where they cannot. I do not
know. Can someone help plz.

Rick
04-27-2006, 07:51 PM
I have several species of roaches. False death heads (Discoids) are my favorite. I keep them in a 10 gallon glass tank. I tape paper to the outside to keep out most of the light and so they dont freak when I enter the room.

I place a small UTH on one end, on the bottom. If the heat pad you are using is so hot it needed to be moved I would get a rheostat to control it. This way you can turn it down. Make sure they have water and food and when they are ready they will breed.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps your bin is too large. Roaches like a tight, cramped area. They feel more secure and thus will move around, eat and breed better.

I hope that helps.

Rick

Lord_Duron
04-28-2006, 12:24 AM
thanks Rick.

They are in a 26gal trash can.
Just pick up a heat wave rainforest small
uth. Took of my larger one which was like almost over
12in. I think i didnt give them a cool side to go to so i'll
try this for awhile. Going to pick up 100 more when I get
the cash for it. I hope heat was just my problem. :S dont
have the cash to get them a different cage. I'll get a 10gallon
tank if i dont see a improvement in a month.

Duron.

Lord_Duron
05-08-2006, 11:16 PM
hey rick.
I thought about what you
said about the roaches
being cramped so I threw
alot of new egg crates in the
trash can, now they are breeding.
my Madagascar is even about to give
birth soon. :S which is strange seeing
how i just got some males but they are