bubbasmithson
02-14-2006, 08:13 PM
is this anything bad should i have him checked out

tegulevi
02-14-2006, 09:37 PM
deffinately get him checked out. beter safe than sorry

tupinambis
02-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Chances are it could be hypocalcemic, either due to improper diet or insufficient UVB exposure, but it could also just as likely be a neurological disorder. Best to get it checked out by an appropriate vet.

Diegar
02-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Coming from only my personal observations, but no proof supporting it, I think that with hatchling tegus, or at least, very small ones, the slight twitching of the hind legs could mean that the heart rate is elevated and the blood pumping through the veins is causing pressure that forces the leg to twitch. Reason i say this, is that my tegu's legs would do that, and you could see the slight pulsing of the heart throughout his body, in rythme with it..

But then again, i might be dead wrong.. Anyone have any input on this?

Art360
02-15-2006, 03:14 AM
have you used any mite spray recently?

jb
02-15-2006, 04:33 PM
If the leg twitch is after he has raced around and he is panting-that may be it. But they can twitch with metabolic bone disease (not enough UVB and Calcium in diet), they can develop hind leg twitching from a bowel impaction (needing to poop) cause it presses on the obturator nerve, it can be from exposure to chemicals. There are alot of reasons. I would take it to a rep vet one time unless you can be sure to diagnose it yourself. Low calcium/UVB light can get bad quickly. Keep us posted.

bubbasmithson
02-15-2006, 09:06 PM
mitew spray thats what i need i saw a little red bug right after he twitched

jb
02-17-2006, 04:41 PM
I think art360 meant that the spray can CAUSE the twitching, and most mites are grey or black and leave little specks of white feces all over reptile. They tend to home in around eyes and ears. I've never had them in FL, but i had a snake with them once in MA and it took months to eradicate them...hope it's not that. Let him soak in a large water tub vs the chemicals and clean the cage constantly with fresh bedding or shredded paper for a couple weeks if you think it's mites.

tupinambis
02-17-2006, 05:02 PM
On tegus, mites and ticks tend to congregate around the skin folds where the integument is thinner and not easily within reach, so around the neck, limb joints, sometimes the cloaca. Whereas mites do cause aggrivation, they do not tend to induce twitching. It is most advisable to get the animal properly checked out with an educated vet before the condition worsens.