PDA

View Full Version : Potential Risks of Mealworms!

James_James
01-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Earlier, I wrote a post entitled, The Origin of Atticus. In that post, I mentioned briefly about the DEATH of my Young Argentine. When I mentioned I fed him mealworms, the manager was not going to refund my money? He said the Tegu was not fed Mealworms at the pet store, and they could be potentialy bad? I've never heard of such a thing. I told him! I've never heard anything about mealworms being dangerous to Tegus. Of course, I thought this was a line of crap. Because he did' t want to refund my money? Later, I found out that their was some TRUTH about what he said! I was at a local reptile exhibit, when I asked a Herpetologist about the untimely death of my young Tegu. At first, I thought I'd over fed him. 2 dozen crickets in one serving. I knew Tegus were big eaters. But I didn't know If they had a feeding limit. The Herpetologist asured me that overfeeding was NOT the cause of death. I asked her about the mealworm theory. Could mealworms be the cause of death? She told me that is was possible. She has heard of mealworms killing young lizards before. Let me explain, HER reason, on how this could happen. Lizards lack the same amino acids we do. Mealworms have a hard exo- skeleton. That can be hard for lizards to digest. As we all know Tegus are very aggressive eaters! Sometimes inhaleing their food without even chewing it.(mine did this) If the mealworms are not chewed, and are alive when they reach their stomachs, the mealworms have been known, to eat their way thru their stomach lineing. Of course killing the lizard! This is more common with amphibians, although she admits this can happen with lizards! What caused the death of my Tegu will be uncertain. I strongely beleive to this day, that mealworms were the cause of death! I'm writing about this to aware young Tegu owners ,or soon to be Tegu owners, about the potential risks of feeding youngsters mealworms. Hopefuly the death of my Tegu, will not be in vein, and others can learn from my tragic experience. Since my new Tegu is not to fond of crickets, accepting them only occassionaly. Mealworms have been the staple food in his diet. However, please note, I carefuly observe him when he eats, making sure the mealworms are properly chewed!

Brisamen
01-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Maybe you could crack the head of the meal worms before giving them...observing the tegu eating mealworms will not help him if he is to eacher and swallows one whole...
It will be gone by the time you reach out to the tegu.

James_James
01-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Good point! Others have suggested that. Including the Herpetologist, I spoke to. Unfortunately, a dead mealworm is not very atractive to a young tegu , no movement! I've been keeping a very close eye on him. He seems to be chewing quite well. Not inhaleing his food.

Rick
01-17-2005, 07:56 PM
I have fed superworms for years with no issue and yes, my tegus swallow whole too. I think the entire superworm thing is an urban myth with just enough plausibility to make people think it could be true.

If I recall someone started the 'rumor' after returning to find her tegu dead in the food dish and covered in mealworms that were left in the dish. I have spoken to a vet (someone trained in reptiles) and it's very unlikely.

Rick
theTegu.com

Brisamen
01-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Well I'm a bit sceptic about the whole idea too but the rumours are so percistent and there might be fire where there is smoke...or something like that :roll: :lol:

Rick
01-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Ghosts, Bigfoot, Aliens, Crop Circles, Flying Rods... there are all kinds of persistant myths. :)

Sincerely,

The Easter Bunny

charlene
01-18-2005, 12:55 AM
Mealworms have contributed to the death of hatchling bearded dragons through impaction as they do have a difficult time digesting the hard exoskeleton. This happened to a friend of mine and was confirmed by the vet. I have never heard of a tegu experiencing this problem but thats not to say it isn't possible.

Charlene

Rick
01-18-2005, 01:12 AM
The myth isn't about impacted food, it's about superworms burrowing their way out of a tegu.

Rick
theTegu.com

charlene
01-19-2005, 12:32 AM
I know that it wasn't about impaction I just mentioned it because that was the only situation I could think of where eating a mealworm/feeder insect contributed to the death of an other wise healthy lizard.

Rick
01-19-2005, 01:35 AM
Fair enough. ;)

Rick
theTegu.com

beardiedragon
01-19-2005, 03:15 AM
My take on all this is crushing worm heads or cutting the heads off is a waste. Worms cannot eat their way out. no matter what, never ever happens, impossible. drop a worm in a cup of water. It takes a few seconds to drown. just imagine getting chewed up and soaked in digestive juices. BDs are not the carnivores Tegus are and baby BDs are quite smaller than baby Tegus. Tegus also grow faster than BDs. Unless you feed your Tegu a whole lot of supers at a throw, I dont think you will run into an impaction problem either. Mealies are less nutritious and harder to digest than supers. Silkies are best. I use roaches with no worries.

Did you do wrong by feeding mealies? No, probably not if you provided enough heat for digestion and enough other foods like crix.

Just another reason to buy from a breeder not a pet store... just my $.02

James_James
01-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Like I had mentioned, the mealworms, were not chewed up, they were swallowed whole. Mealworms phsyicaly burrowing outside the lizards body. NO. Is this theory so far fetched, and unbelievable, that it can be considered a myth? If it is a myth, an urban legend? We will never know the answer. However my dead Tegu is not a myth.

herp_haven
02-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Ghosts, Bigfoot, Aliens, Crop Circles, Flying Rods... there are all kinds of persistant myths. :)

Sincerely,

The Easter Bunny

Hey, now... I believe in ghosts...

But the mealworm eating their way out of lizards, I believe is a myth. Once swallowed they wouldn't have air to breathe, correct? Has anyone seen how fast mealworms drown? Not to mention that the stomach acids would kill the worm. Sure, it might cause impaction in some lizards, especially if the temperatures aren't high enough, but the worms can't eat their way out of a lizards stomach.

Brisamen
02-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Well even if its a myth. If your not feeling comfortable with giving them life because of this myth I'd say; off with their the heads!
Shoudl give you a safe feeling ;)

reptilica1386
02-17-2005, 11:15 AM
"3. I've heard that if you don't crush the heads of super meal worms, they will eat their way out of the stomach of my lizards.
DON'T BELIEVE all that NONSENSE people are saying or writing. Who in nature will be there to prepare the food that way for the lizards? I feed millions of superworms, and NEVER crush any heads. What big nonsense that is! (I do not sell superworms any more, so I am not biased in telling you this.)

What can happen, however, is the following: indoors lizards get (even with UVB lights) a fraction (10% or so, depeneding on many factors of the light) of the UVB light which they receive in the real sun. When they also get a diet low in Calcium, then their bones and muscles get weak. If then they see a large prey item, they THINK they can swallow it as all there forefathers could, and that is what is in their minds. However, because of their weak skeleton and weak muscles, the animal cannot handle that prey and may die from it. If that happens, then the insect is not to blame, but only the caregiver that failed to give enough UVB and calcium.

If the worms eat their way out of a lizard, then you must watch out not to swallow a seedpit of a grape, as maybe grapes will grow out of your ear. Tell that to the people who come with these silly stories. Complete nonsense. What must have happened is that an animal has died and that then loose hungry worms start eating from it, which then is misinterpreted by the observer. I never saw an insect eating his way out. Never in 30 years."
this is quoted from agamainternations FAQ i hope that answered the question :wink:
lauren

John
02-17-2005, 02:55 PM
I understand what your saying but I doubt that has ever happened, although it is possible. UVB wouldn't be to blaim here. The lack of calcium in the animals diet would be. My tegus currently don't have access to uvb however they do have access to a diet high in calcium! I haven't witnessed any problems what-so-ever! Everything here has been thriving! I'm still back and forth on the issue and may end up installing the lights here soon.

If the worms eat their way out of a lizard, then you must watch out not to swallow a seedpit of a grape, as maybe grapes will grow out of your ear. Tell that to the people who come with these silly stories. Complete nonsense. What must have happened is that an animal has died and that then loose hungry worms start eating from it, which then is misinterpreted by the observer. I never saw an insect eating his way out. Never in 30 years."
this is quoted from agamainternations FAQ i hope that answered the question
lauren

LOL I would have to agree with you. I have never seen it either. Then again there are all kinds of myths out there. Which you choose to believe is your choice!

reptilica1386
02-17-2005, 04:28 PM
well i got it off of burts website and since he has fed his with out a problem i guess it probably couldnt chew its way out of the stomach and if i were swallowed whole i dont think i would have time to think about chewing out if i were drowning in stomach acids ha ha
lauren