PDA

View Full Version : crix in with roaches

Art360
02-21-2006, 01:18 AM
For my roach colony I got a couple used egg crates from a local pet store, they were in good condition and I shook them off pretty good. Today I found a couple crickets in with the hissers (I guess they hatched or grew). It's hard to get them out without disturbing the whole roach colony, my concern is if they (crix) will eat tiny hissers.

TallBaldNTatt2ed
02-21-2006, 05:41 AM
In my experiences with crickets I have found that they will eat just about anything. Most reptile owners also say that they will feed on lizards if left in the cage overnight. Maybe if there is enough food for everyone in the colony it won't be a problem, but I wouldn't risk it.

Rick
02-23-2006, 07:33 PM
I would not use the used crates that crickets came in, get some from your local resturant instead. (normally Sunday afternoon they can have many for you to pick up) By now it may already be a bit late but many of the breeders who sell crickets (like Flukerfarms) have an infestation of nuisance insects like wooly worms, which turn into beetles. The beetles lay eggs to small to see and they grow into wooly worms. (Note that taxidermists use these beetles to clean a deer skull of all flesh in just a few days or less)

I speak from experaince, once you have them it is a pain to get rid of them. I need to clean and move the roaches at the first sing of wooly worms before they can turn into beetles and lay eggs.. damn things! :P

Luckily, I am pretty well cleared of them though it took me about 4 months to get this far.

Rick

Art360
02-27-2006, 05:35 AM
Whoa, that would not be good. I already pulled the crix out. I'll have to get some replacement crates. Thanks.

Jordan
04-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Its really not that big a deal, I get crix in my roach bins all the time with no ill effects what so ever