PDA

View Full Version : Any Canadians here?

Grimlock
03-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Well, I've been looking into building a cage for Grimlock and have decided it would be too expensive....because I would also have to buy a complete set of tools, all I have is a hand-saw and a bent hammer :? .

Can anyone direct me to a place that sells cages for large reptiles in Canada? I would love a boamaster cage but shipping would be astronomical. I am in Ontario.

(in all likelyhood I am just going to get a steel stock tank but I would much rather have something more attractive)

Nero557
03-26-2006, 01:55 AM
Well, you could try to find someone, such as a friend or something to borrow the tools from, maybe a neighbor, or see if you can find someone to build you one for a small price. Besides that, I would check the classifieds on here and other sites and hope to get lucky. I'll keep an eye out for you also, but sorry I don't live anywhere near you, so I can't help out too much.

Grimlock
03-27-2006, 02:12 AM
ahh there lies the great tradgedy of my life; not one of my friends or family are supportive of the fact i keep reptiles, they all think its a stupid waste of time and money. no one i know will help me, but i'm going to keep an eye out on reptile forums for people in my area.

i can't stop looking at the pics of peoples boamaster cages though, lol. they are soooo nice.

RainbowParty
03-30-2006, 05:25 AM
I live in Ontario too and I couldn't imagine the price of an 8 foot facility manufactured tegu enclosure... I definitely urge you to build your own. You can make it to exact specifications that YOU want. You can arrange the way your lights will be set up, you can arrange different variations of ventilation, different structural benefits to make cleaning easier.. you can make it however you want. You can make it perfect... for a lot less money than buying a custom built. If you're worried about tools, it's not a huge delema. You don't really need a whole lot considering that Home Depot or Rona will cut wood to your specifications... so that's done. Then you'd need (preferably screws for easy dis-assembly) and a screw driver to create the frame. Then you can use some type of strong adhesive or even more screws to secure windows and even have sliding doors. However, it's your call and if you have the money then go for the boamaster.

Nero557
03-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Try like ebay or something, maybe you can get lucky and get a decent drill for cheap, because you won't need much else than that if home depot cuts your wood.

Chizzow
04-01-2006, 07:05 AM
If you figure out the dimensions of the enclosure, places like home depot can cut it for a minimal fee, or its free if you purchase the wood from there. After that all you need is essentially a screw driver, of course a drill would make everything much easier.

good luck

repden
04-04-2006, 12:53 AM
hey grimlock,
I have a "3 stack" cage suitable for snakes, small lizards,
good for a starter Tegu not large enough for full grown,
36" wide x 60" high x 16 " depth
2 top drawers, 1 double sized lower drawer
wiring & fixtures
double wall metal enclosure
email me if you want a pic
I am near North-East end of Toronto
t
repden@gmail.com

Grimlock
04-04-2006, 05:23 PM
thanks but that is not big enough

repden
04-04-2006, 10:48 PM
yup - relaize that - thought you migh be able to use on other starters

any tips on where I might find a Tegu around the GTA?

do you go to the Reptile show ?
one comign up Aril 23rd....

t

RainbowParty
04-05-2006, 03:09 AM
I'm from Kitchener and I go to the Reptile Expo almost every date. It's a really really good place to buy feeders, which is mainly why I go. Bugs and rodents are a lot cheeper there. In October(?), their was even a sub-adult argentine black and white tegu there... it was incredible. I had never seen one so big in real life before. I've only ever seen that tegu and last time there was a baby argentine red... those are the only two I've seen in real life (other than my boy, King Koopa... and the female with him at the pet store). It's a good show, but it gets super crowded... so it's kind of frustrating sometimes. You might have a shot at a tegu though.

RainbowParty
04-05-2006, 03:16 AM
I completely forgot about my favourite reptile store... you could contact Joshua Feltham from Reptilia. www.reptilia.org It's my favourite reptile store... they've recently opened a new location which is both a retail store and a reptile zoo. Some of his stuff is pretty impressive. He deals with tegus from Bert Langerwerf, so you know they're good. I know he doesn't have any in stock right now, but I'm sure he's expecting a shipment sometime this spring/summer.. I was originally lined up to get one of those, it was already "on hold", but I found Koopa in a pet store and couldn't resist... I was dying for one for over 2 years but much like yourself, could never find one. So I jumped at the chance. But anyway, you could try him and at least find out when he's planning on ordering more. You can find his contact info on the Reptilia website. Good luck!

By the way, Reptilia is located in Vaughan.

Diablo
04-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi, I'm new here, I'm planning on getting a B&W Argentine Tegus. I'll have to get it ship from Ontario, by the way I'm in BC. Do any of you know about Global Exotic or Port credit pet center or any other that you could recommend. Which would you recommend, anybody dealt with them before? I had order one from Reptilia but they are not to thrustable. I was supposed to have it shipped to my place on a given day that we had arrange, so I took that day off from work and they did not. I was very disappointed in them and in the fact that I did'nt get my little one.
Cheers
Diablo

repden
04-06-2006, 12:24 AM
thanks Scott, I have been to reptilia before but had forgotten aobut them, will give it a shot but think first I'll wait for the show...

Diablo - don't know exactly what happened to you but I recall beign in Reptilia and having conversations with a couple of different people - think I recall meeting Joshua too....seemed like good people - well kept critters usually a good indicator - hope you tried to work throgha solution with them if there was a problem. Good luck with that.

t

RainbowParty
04-06-2006, 03:41 AM
You're the first person I've heard of that's had a problem with Reptilia. Whatever the reason for the inconvenience, I'm sure it was legit and unavoidable. Joshua is a good guy and he wouldn't just not keep his word unless there was a big issue. Did you ever look into why your tegu didn't show up?

As for your other options, Port Credit Pet Center seems to be a pretty reliable resource. They are the organization that hosts the Ontario Reptile Expo. They do a lot of rescue things, almost like a humane society for reptiles. However, I've never been to their location yet. I was planning on dropping by while I was in the area at this upcoming expo. I can't give a legitmate opinion as to whether or not you should buy from them, but I'd say they're definitely worth a shot. Good luck![/quote]

Grimlock
04-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Reptilia seemed great to me. I would beware of global exotic pets though. Last time I was in there they had a lot of emaciated baby nile monitors, I was disgusted at their condition. The store also smelled bad, unlike Reptilia which is very clean.

Has anyone checked out reptilia's new zoo?? Its so cool, especially their water monitor. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have any tegus though, hopefully they will eventually.

RainbowParty
04-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Ya, I was at Reptilia's new place a few weeks ago... I think it's incredible! Nothing like anywhere I've ever been before. Joshua was walking around so I asked him about tegu's and he says eventually their will be some, but there's no set dates as of yet. I later e-mailed him to ask about the material he used to line each enclosure. Those enclosures were beautiful! I'm pretty confident I could make a similar set up on my own. I was really impressed by the anaconda and the incredible crocodiles. The monitor was awesome too. I'm pretty set on looking into a Green Iguana and Jungle Carpet Python sometime in the near future (hopefully) and I know I can rely on Reptilia for both. It's a great place... certainly my favourite.

Never been to Global Exotic though... so no advice there.

Diablo
04-07-2006, 02:21 AM
I called Reptilia back, and we arranged it for this week-end. You know, everybody can make a mistake. I do to. It's just at first, me being that far, it got me a bit worried. But you guys only got good things to say about them, so I guess I'll thrust hem. Thanks. If everything goes good, I should get my little Argentine B&W on Sunday. Can't wait
Cheers

RainbowParty
04-07-2006, 03:40 AM
let us know how it all works out

Diablo
04-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Hi, I finally received my little one today. Reptilia have been very good. The only thing, is that West Jet, did not keep him or her warm, when I opened the package, my Tegu was really cold, I put him in his new tank with a bit of heat and he had a hard time to move, he was very cold to touch. So I but heat bit by bit. Now he seems fine. He has'nt eat yet but i'm sure it's cause of the stress. I think I'll call him Taz, but I'm not sure yet. I'm very happy.
Cheers
Diablo

RainbowParty
04-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Congrats on the new addition! Where'd he end up coming from? They usually take at least a week to get used to everything and actually start eating. Tegus are pretty resiliant about temperatures, they seem to be able to handle the odd extreme. I once read an article where a tegu had escaped it's outdoor enclosure in the winter, and was found the next morning in a frozen over pond. The owner thought he was dead and brought it inside, but came back later to find it wandering around! Amazing stuff...

Diablo
04-12-2006, 12:54 AM
I got him from Reptilia, they worked it out 50$ off because it was not shiped on time. Sounds good to me. He is very small, 4" snout to vent.
Yesterday, after I put him in his tank, he's been chilling on his rock under the heat lamp, and since last night, he's been hiding in his cave. How long should I wait till I pick him up? I just want to take him out but I'll be patient. I gave him a bunch of cricket and when I got back back from work, they were all gone as well as some worms but I think tese guys escaped from the food bowl. I'm waiting from my feeders order from Bugorder.com, but for now, I got some at the pet shop.
Cheers

Nero557
04-12-2006, 01:01 AM
I would give him at least a week to get familiar with his new home, if not a little longer. Then I would say it would be okay to start slowly interacting with him, gradually increasing more and more each day. Try not to make very sudden and quick movements and make sure you never pull him out of his hide. That will ruin the trust "bond" you guys form between one another, that is his spot, and don't you forget it. Congrats on your new tegu. :wink:

Diablo
04-13-2006, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the advices, Totay he came out twice( that I've seen), but as soon as he see me, he goes back to his hide. One time he was drinking water. I put about 15 large crix in his tank and he ate them all. He has'nt touch the meal and the butterworms though. Is it normal, when I put my hand in it to change water or put food, he makes kinda like a deep breathing sound, Does that mean he is scared or tring to scare me?
Cheers

RainbowParty
04-13-2006, 03:59 AM
You mean when they stand up tall and then huff and puff? That's kind of like a warning, for defense. It's telling you to stay away, because he's afraid. With frequent handling, he'll eventually stop doing that.

Nero557
04-13-2006, 05:51 AM
Okay, like rainbowparty stated the huffing and puffing is like a defense mechanism. Usually, keep in mind I said usually, they huff and puff, then they will either move away, or curve their tail back and get ready to whip, then if that doesn't get the point across, they would maybe try to bite, after whipping a few times... so basically if you get bit, you probably disserve it... after the week of letting him get settled in, slowly try to get closer to him/her and pet him/her, but don't make any sudden movements (unless its to avoid pain to you) and move closer and closer, but keep your hand low to the substrate as possible. Eventually after doing this a few times, you can get close enough to touch your tegu. (you might be able to do it right away depending on the temperment of your tegu) keep doing this practice (please don't get bit) until your tegu lets you do it without the huffing and puffing or whipping or whatnot. Then you can try to pick him up, start off with holding him in the cage the first few times and increase the amount of time you hold him each time and eventually you will be able to pick him up and play with him whenever you want. Now, keep in mind, every tegu is different, I only had to do this with one of my tegus, and not the other, so I'm just saying it because it MIGHT help, not definately. Both of my tegus now currently seem to trust me completely and I can pick them up and do what I please with them (take them for a bath, clip nails, watch tv with them, etc.) good luck with your new one and let me know how it all works out. I hope this helps... :D