PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to raise Superworms (Zophobas morio)??

jb
04-01-2006, 02:02 AM
I have begun raising my own crickets and silkworms, but i get Zophobas worms still by the 1000/box. Anyone know how to raise your own colonies? I heard you have to get worms isolated in some mulch and not crowded....or else they dont metamorph. to beetles. How do you set up beetles to mate and lay eggs and incubate eggs??? Can't find any info on this on my sites. (wrong forum, sorry)

Nero557
04-01-2006, 02:05 AM
Here, this site should help you out. http://www.iaherp.org/superworms/ Good luck! :D

jb
04-01-2006, 03:47 AM
yes it helps and thank you! :idea:

Johelian
04-01-2006, 09:38 AM
We find the odd beetle in the substrate when misting it...always a bit of a surprise to have them suddenly scuttle out under your nose. The tegu seemed to be scared of them when he was younger (which doesnt surprise me! They are a bit nasty looking) but now he just ignores them. Nothing to do with raising them really, unless you want to make a second tegu enclosure to keep them in, as it seems to work ;)

Nero557
04-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Your welcome, I'm here to help and learn, just like most members. :)

RichBanfich
04-02-2006, 04:04 AM
hi,
i've been breeding superworms for a while now and that sight mentioned above is great. i just wanted to give a little recommendation about using film canisters. instead of using them i found more efficient to use plastic planno boxes used for fishing lures. they have separate compartments and are transparent so you can see if the worm changed to beetle much more easily. and you don't have to deal with opening each film container. i posted a lot more info in the arachnids section here a week or so ago. if you have any questions let me know. good luck!!!!

Nero557
04-02-2006, 08:11 AM
that's a good idea, i never thought of that, i'll have to check out your post, thanks.

Teiidae
04-02-2006, 02:04 PM
I'll move this to crickets for now - Maybe we can get a forum set up for superworms in the feeder forums...

Aculeus
04-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Hi there - I have just tried to go to the site about breeding the worms but I keep getting an error! Does anyone know if the site has gone down?

Here's another question - does anyone know if Tegu's will feed on the beetles? I have only found one mention of the actual beetle as a food source on the web.

Thanks

Teiidae
04-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi there - I have just tried to go to the site about breeding the worms but I keep getting an error! Does anyone know if the site has gone down?

The link is still working - Maybe you are using a pop-up blocker ?

Aculeus
04-04-2006, 12:12 AM
This is a bit wierd - I use the same pop-up blocker on my laptop as I do on the desktop, same settings as well. I can get onto that site on my laptop but not from my desktop.

Thanks for the reply.

Nero557
04-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Really? That is weird... I've never heard of that before.

jb
04-10-2006, 09:05 PM
I've never seen the beetles get eaten by my tegu, and he is kind of blahhh-zay about eating the worms unless they are wriggling in a ceramic bowl. I add some chopped up in the turkey burger occasionally. The beetles are relished by my veiled chameleon and beardies.

smilin-buddha
12-24-2007, 04:52 PM
I used the plano boxes as well. I thinkthe beetles have a horrible smell.

txrepgirl
12-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Welcome to the Tegu forum (family) smilin-buddha.I haven't used the beetles yet.I keep a lot of superworms in a ten gallon tank with a sliding lid so they can't get out (they did that when I kept them in a different tank) and I put some oatmeal in it.I always see some new babys in there.What kind of Tegu do you have and how old is he/she and what did you name him/her.Can you please post some picks :wink: ? thanks.Good luck with your Tegu and I hope you will enjoy this site as much as I have.

smilin-buddha
12-26-2007, 02:01 AM
None as of yet. I breed the superworms for my geckos. But look to maybe get a Tegu in the next year or so. I am mainly a snake breeder.

txrepgirl
12-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Oh,ok.Good luck with finding the right Tegu for you.I have two arg.bw.baby Tegus.One is 5 months old (Leonidas) and the other one is 9 months old (Zeuss).I love them so much.They are the best Lizards I ever had as a pet.The only bad thing about them is that ones you have one and you fall in love with him/her it is hard not to get a nother one :lol: .I have a snake,too.A ball python.