PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Mulch In San Diego?

YorkOC
04-07-2006, 06:29 PM
I can't seem to find cypress mulch anywhere in San Diego. I have tried over 3 places now. Home Depot, Lowes, and some Nursery. Anyone here know where is SOCAL i can get some for a reasonable price. I did happen to find some on Lowes website.. maybe they can order it for me if i get bulk. Is the "red cypress mulch" http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=92889-1033-92889 ok. Or does that have coloring and I need to go with organic? I cant seem to find the organic stuff off their site anymore. ANy help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nero557
04-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Well, I don't live out there so I don't really know how to help you with the cypress mulch you are looking for, but you can buy 24 qts of exo-terra jungle earth or exo-terra forest bark for under 12 bucks at http://www.reptiledepot.com/ you might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else if you look a little harder than I did. :wink:

Teiidae
04-08-2006, 01:55 PM
I too have looked at the Lowes website and have considered special ordering this mulch, however till someone can verify this is safe to use, I have not done so - I've done a search on "red cypress mulch reptiles", and Zoo-Med Forest Floor Cypress Bedding pops up alot "Made Entirely Of Pure Red Cypress Mulch, No Fillers!"

One link :

http://www.incrediblepets.com/Reptile-Supplies_Bedding_Substrate_Forest-Floor-Cypress-Bedding

I'm currently paying $30 bucks + tax per bag XL of cypress here 3cf I believe, and 2 of my enclosures alone take 4 bags each so about $130 bucks per enclosure to change the bedding - Hopefully some of our "southern friends" who live in "cypress is cheap land" can chime in on this "Red Cypress Mulch"...

Nero557
04-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Jesus christ man... 130 bux... I could probably buy you a ton of it and ship it to you for that much... lets see, for me a 2 cubic foot bag of cypress mulch is less than 3 dollars, and it says "premium" on it... :lol: anyways, the company has their name on it and address and phone numbers, one headquarter is in florida and the other is in michigan, so if you would like that information then just let me know and maybe you can order it direct from them... or, if you reimburse me for the expenses I could probably ship you some... we'd have to talk though. PM me or IM me on AIM, or whatever... Look on that red bag of cypress and see if they have headquarters info on the bag, and call them up and see if you can find out whats in it (like dyes and what not) and see if it is safe for them that way...

MO
04-08-2006, 05:41 PM
I've been using Orchid bark, it's made from Fir tree's and retains moisture. It comes in 2 different grades, medium which is really chunky and fine which seems more like dirt, I mix both together. You can get a huge bag at Orchard supply for about $6.00! As a treat I pick up a couple buckets of leaves from the yard, nuke them first to get rid of any unwanted "hangers-on", and let my guy root around in them. He loves it and it makes lots of noise!!!

If you think about tegu's in the wild I don't think they walk around looking for Cypress mulch exclusively, they hunker down into what's comfortable for them.

Anyway, good luck boys!

Monique

Teiidae
04-09-2006, 04:05 PM
I know some have/do use Aspen Shavings for their Tegu's, but has anyone tried Aspen Mulch - I can get this here locally and most likely very cheap compared to what I pay for Cypress...

http://www.soilandstone.com/Aspen_mulch.htm

YorkOC
04-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Jesus christ man... 130 bux... I could probably buy you a ton of it and ship it to you for that much... lets see, for me a 2 cubic foot bag of cypress mulch is less than 3 dollars, and it says "premium" on it... :lol: anyways, the company has their name on it and address and phone numbers, one headquarter is in florida and the other is in michigan, so if you would like that information then just let me know and maybe you can order it direct from them... or, if you reimburse me for the expenses I could probably ship you some... we'd have to talk though. PM me or IM me on AIM, or whatever... Look on that red bag of cypress and see if they have headquarters info on the bag, and call them up and see if you can find out whats in it (like dyes and what not) and see if it is safe for them that way...

Can you hook me up with their info. Possibly they can tell me if they distribute it out in SOCAL

Nero557
04-09-2006, 07:37 PM
There are two headquarters

Southern Office
Mid America Mulch Inc.
2423 Manatee Ave. W.
Bradenton, FL 34205
(941) 746-1999

Northern Office
Ameriscape Inc.
P.O. Box 439
Harbor Springs, MI 49740
(231) 347-0077

YorkOC
04-09-2006, 07:53 PM
I have called like 10 more places... cant find it anywhere. They do have Cedar though. I will try to figure something out if not just keep using the stuff i have from creaturetravelers made out of coconut shells.

Nero557
04-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Did you try those two places yet? Or did you not try because it is Sunday?

Teiidae
04-09-2006, 10:31 PM
I looked up Ameriscape on the net, and they are a wholesaler with a minimum 1/2 truckload order or 22,000 pounds lol - Take a look...

http://www.ameriscapeinc.com/mulch.html

Nero557
04-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Wow, 22,000lbs 8O that is quite a bit of mulch, I think you'd be set for... I don't know a few years... let alone that probably costs a crapload... hmm.... maybe if you talk with the home depot guys or lowes or whatever maybe they will order it for you and then you can buy just a few bags... it's worth a shot...