PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for making cage lid

Grimlock
04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
I just bought an 8'x3'x2' poly stock tank for my tegu. I'm wondering how I am going to build a lid for it though. I would like there to be very good visibility, since looking in through the top is the only way I'll be able to see in there.
I was thinking of just getting a large piece of plexiglass, but I don't know how I could turn that into a secure lid. Or perhaps a pegboard lid with a few plexi windows. I'd love to hear any ideas or tips!

this is something like what i have in mind
http://www.proexotics.com/retail_products/Facility/trough_lid_detail_12-01.jpg
I can't tell how it is fixed to the tank though

jb
04-19-2006, 10:47 PM
the thinner back portion is fixed to the trough with a nut and bolt with a washer. you can see it on the bottom right of photo by the black square thing on the plexi (assuming that is an air fan since there are no air holes in that set up otherwise). the larger piece of plexi is the door that swings up and does not appear to have a latch or lock. there is probably a small lizard in there that cannot reach the lid. the heat lamp is fitted in the plexi with some type of fixture on the door....weird. i've heard u can use lexon or something that is like plexi and that you can cut it with a power saw. it's a cool idea for a breeder type set up if you dont need to view the lizards much.

Nero557
04-21-2006, 12:18 AM
I personally would prefer a wood lid with either plexi, glass, lexan, or wire mesh "windows" on the top.. I would probably put hinges across the middle so half opens but I would I would make it open the opposite of the one in the picture, such as the right would open towards the left, etc. I would put plexi windows toward the middle and then the heat lamp/s on one side with holes cut in the wood with wire mesh, then the tegu won't get burned or what not, my tegus used to jump up and hit the lights when they were younger so I would never put a light inside of an enclosure unless it was totally baracaded off, I have seen some poor animals with some nasty burns caused by negligence... I would also use latches on the lid somewhere... there is my two cents... good luck maybe you can combine mine with someone elses or what not to make something you like :wink:

yeaitsdave
04-21-2006, 01:15 AM
Frame it out, do sections mesh, sections polyglass, sections open for lighting. Thats what I did before a built my new enclosure. The size of it, famed out in wood, should give a hefty amount a weight to prevent breakouts, but I would still add a touch more