PDA

View Full Version : Snake question

Bxstorm2nv
02-03-2005, 05:31 PM
I have a 4.5 albino gopher snake and recently his eyes turned blue. To my knowledge that means he is going to shed and now they are back to normal without him shedding. Whats that about?

Rams
02-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Yes that is normal, how old are they, how long till the eyes turned normal ?

Brisamen
02-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Mostly the eye will turn "normall" again and then the snake will begin sheding.. Just keep an eye on him and better not feed till he completely shed his skin. Eating will retrackt hard needed moistur out of the snake which will make sheding harder.
I'm not sure if this snake needs a moist inviroment but if it does then you might want to turn the moist up a bit during sheding..
Also be sure to keep his waterbowl filled properly and place a hardrouch surfase such as a rock in the enclosure to give the snake something to rub against so he can losen the skin and begin sheding.
(keep a camera in hand range as snakes are the most beautiful when they have shed ;) )

Good luck!

John
02-04-2005, 05:40 AM
This is normal. It's kind of funny, when I first started keeping snakes I would go nuts trying to find the shed that was still on the snake. When they go back into the normal phase they look awesome! Then they shed out and it only gets better. Generally you have around 1 week or less when they look normal again.