PDA

View Full Version : rat??

elchupaneebrae
05-10-2006, 02:13 AM
does anyone know if its possible to house a rat with a bunny.

agallegos37
05-10-2006, 02:23 AM
I'm sure its possible with the correctly-tempered animals, but if I were you and I was going to try it, I would keep a close eye on them when you introduce them.

Nero557
05-10-2006, 01:36 PM
I would keep a close eye on them, rats tend to chew everything and anything, which in turn could become your rabbit, same reason you would leave a live rat/mouse in with a tegu, or other reptile. Most of the time the rat/mouse will leave the tegu or other reptile alone for a while, but if left in overnight, they start chewing on your animal. I have seen some nasty aftermaths of what happened when someone left a mouse in with their 3ft savannah monitor and lets just say there was no meat left on the tail, I for one wouldn't do it, I felt so bad for that sav and I wanted to just take that guy (who did it) and put his arm through a meat grinder and ask him if he enjoyed it or not... :twisted: So if you do decide to go ahead and do it, I hope you aren't too attached to your rabbit, but I'd watch them extremely closely for a while, especially at night, as rats are nocturnal...

Johelian
05-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Its not a good idea. Rats are intelligent and unpredictable, and may well decide to wreak some havok on your rabbit. When they start attacking something they are incredibly effective; they arent afraid to take on animals much larger than themselves, like dogs. I wouldnt even let them encounter each other, let alone live together; theres just no way of knowing what will happen.

Teiidae
05-10-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm gonna move this to rodents :wink:

DeadIrishD
05-12-2006, 05:59 PM
I was once over ran with mice, before i kept herps, and ended up feeding some mice to the rats, they loved it but let me tell you the stench was deffinitly not worth it, nor was the mess..... it seems that alot like humans the rats ate everything inside the mice, but left the outter section alone.

meatbeagle
05-15-2006, 01:00 PM
WHen I was a kid, I got a baby rat, but thought it was a mouse. My dad was doing some electrical work in the back of a pet store and found it in the trash. The pet store said he could keep it, so I got a new pet. I was afraid it would be lonely, so I bought another "mouse" to be it's friend. The mouse and the rat lived together happily for over a year, until the mouse got ill. I've since learned that this is extremely rare. The rat should have enjoyed a mouse dinner.