PDA

View Full Version : "tegu house" plans

hoosier
05-31-2006, 07:59 PM
i plan to make a tegu house. its alot like a small dog house. the deminsions are 17''lx6''wx12''h. i have the plans drawn up but i just have one question, what would be the best wood to use? my shop instructor says white oak would work the best since there will be alot of humidity in the tank.
i plan to have one in the tank(the one planed above) and then a larger one outside of the tank in my room.

what do you guys think?

Nero557
06-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Uhhh, is this "house" like a cave for the tegu or is it a home, like a cage for it? Umm... I'm not sure on the oak thing, I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on this) but doesn't oak have poisonous oils/scents like pine does? I'm not sure, but I'd use like melamine or plywood with showerboard or something similar. Just my two cents... but you can do what you'd like.

hoosier
06-02-2006, 08:01 PM
sorry i didnt specify. it will be basically a cave for it when it is out of the cage. i decided not to make one for inside the cage due to swelling of the wood with the humidity.
it will be made of ply and will look alot like a dog house.(virtually the "dog house" look is just for decoration) it will have a heat lamp in it so the tegu can warm up when it is out of its cage.
i will post pics of the plans when i finish drawing them up.
im not too sure about the oak. i hope this clears things up a little bit. :)