PDA

View Full Version : hi. im new here

hoosier
06-02-2006, 12:01 AM
hi everyone i am new to the site. i plan to get a red tegu and a blue tegu in auguest or sooner if i can find them. i am setting up a 48''lx18''wx17''t tank. is this sutiable for two hatchling tegus?
i do believe that the blue and red will live together. is this okay?

thank you,
Mat Hoosier

Teiidae
06-02-2006, 01:03 AM
They should be ok to house together - a male and a female should be fine, 2 females should be fine, 2 males may get along if kept together from hatchling age on up unless one tends to become dominate over the other - The Red will most likely outgrow the Blue.

That size enclosure may work for 2 hatchlings for a few months - I'd already be thinking about the next enclosure cause 48"x18" aint gonna last long at all - especially for 2 Tegus...

Nero557
06-02-2006, 02:09 AM
Welcome to the site, I'm going to agree with Teiidae on that one. Good luck.

hoosier
06-05-2006, 04:57 PM
i am. i am going to give them run of my room when they out grow their tank.
i was wondering in the opinion of the people that own them, what is the best tegu to own? a blue, red or arg. black and white?

Johelian
06-05-2006, 07:16 PM
If I had had a choice at the start, I probably would have gone for a blue; I love their appearance, size and what I have heard about their temperament. However, I fell in love with a B&W arg at a local petstore, and certainly dont regret the choice. He has a great temperament for a large lizard, and is just overall a lovely creature. I probably wouldnt consider a red (although I have been tempted by cute hatchlings); their slightly higher risk of skin and shedding problems related to diet concerns me a little, and Im not especially fond of how they look.

Personality wise, it all seems to be a bit of a much-of-a-muchness between species; all of the args are reputed to be fairly easy to tame. I think it largely boils down to personal preference (and, to a lesser degree, space - reds can get to 4.5ft and blue to 3.5ft, so theres a bit of a difference in enclosure size).

hoosier
06-05-2006, 08:44 PM
thank you. i am starting to fall in love with the arg. black and whites after all that i have heard about them. i think i may go with one...or two. lol