PDA

View Full Version : Freezing?

agallegos37
07-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Just wondering if tossing a live mouse in a ziploc bag and putting it in the freezer would be okay. I would prefer to be frozen then ripped apart lol

Would that work okay?

stlmetalhead
07-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Hmmm well since mice are mammals that might take awhile to kill it so i would kill it first. Either put it in a tubba ware container and hurl it against the wall(mouse hits its head and dies) or take a ruler and put it behind the mouses head and make a swift jerk while you have ahold of the tail this will break its neck. or you could do it the easy way and just buy frozen,lol.

Teiidae
07-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Just wondering if tossing a live mouse in a ziploc bag and putting it in the freezer would be okay. I would prefer to be frozen then ripped apart lol

Would that work okay?

It would most likely try to claw and/or chew it's way out while freezing to death - I'd suggest dislocating it's neck prior to feeding or freezing if you must...

agallegos37
07-04-2006, 01:25 AM
What about putting it in a hard tupperware thing and shaking it really hard?

Teiidae
07-04-2006, 02:07 AM
I would just break it's neck - It's fast and simple and more humane if that's the right word for killing a feeder, rather than trying to shake it or freeze it to death...

YorkOC
07-04-2006, 03:48 AM
What about putting it in a hard tupperware thing and shaking it really hard?

How about ordering them off a website such as rodentpro.com or themousefactory.com. You can order pretty much any feeder off their sites and they humanely euthanize them. Not to mention the fact that you can save a lot of money if you order in bulk, say enough to last you 4 months or so.

I will admit it is fun watching your tegu rip apart a mouse/rat but they can get seriously injured by their teeth, and some say can make them more aggressive in nature.

I've been using themousefactory.com for over 3 years now and it is great. Super convenient when you don't have to go to the store twice a week for feeders and get ripped off.

Or snap its neck by making what you do throwing a curve ball (First separate your pointer and middle finger then grab the neck of the mouse behind the head then pull back legs or tail, separting the spinal column from the neck). this is the most humane method of prekilling before you feed.

agallegos37
07-04-2006, 05:37 AM
Okay I might just order them online then. I actually like watching my tegu eat the live mice and there's a good, cheap supply of them near my house but my girlfriend doesn't like me feeding them live, so I'll figure something out. Thanks for the input though

gunznrosez13
07-09-2006, 12:02 AM
hold on im confused. if u freeze or buy frozen do u thaw them somehow and how do u thaw it?

Grimlock
07-09-2006, 12:33 AM
uhh that is VERY cruel...please kill it as quickly and humanely as possible before freezing it. if you aren't up to that, just buy ones that are already frozen. thats worse than just feeding it to the tegu alive in my opinion.

fyi, pet stores often throw sick and un-sellable animals into a freezer to kill them "guilt free." i think its a really horrible and cruel practice, mammals take a long time to freeze to death, and cold-blooded animals begin to freeze before they are dead which must be excrutiatingly painful.

agallegos37
07-09-2006, 06:12 AM
I didn't do it, but I don't think it's as cruel as feeding live. I would MUCH rather be frozen to death than ripped apart and eaten by some lizard that's like 10 times the size of me.

And to thaw the mice, you can put them in a ziploc bag and put the bag in some hot or warm water until it's warm.

Grimlock
07-09-2006, 04:55 PM
i'd rather be eaten alive. at least you'd go into shock and it would be over quickly. freezing would be very slow and agonizing. the fact you won't see the animal die is appealing but it is really a nasty thing to do.