PDA

View Full Version : Free Roaming...

John
12-09-2004, 05:14 AM
Well I hear alot of people allow their tegu's to free roam a room. My room is tegu proff! No where they can go that I won't be able to get to them, and nothing that can cause harm. I also hear that there maybe a way to litter train them? Like set out a large water bowl and they will go in there? Any information on this topic I'd LOVE to get together!

Rick
12-09-2004, 05:22 AM
The ones I cared for before were not mine and I didn't allow them to free roam, but I do intend to allow the ones I am currently raising to free roam once they are larger.

As far as litter training, I have heard of many people doing it. Some in a litter box with substrate, some in a litter box with water. Even though I have not attempted to litter train my current tegus; I do find that I more often have to change the water because they used the bowl for a litter box, more so then I need to pick up waste in their substrate.

Rick

John
12-09-2004, 05:34 AM
I'll leave a large water bowl out and pray she uses it! We'll find out!

Rick
12-09-2004, 06:15 AM
In tegu proofing a room you should lay on your floor is several parts of your room. Look up from the floor. See if there is anything you can get into or hurt on. It's not just a matter of picking up small objects or closing the closet doors. Keep in mind that a tegu can stand up against a wall (often with the ability to get it's claws into a power socket), they can stand up and attempt to pull on your clock radio power cord (pulling it onto their head), when they are larger they can pull a bedspread off your bed and get tangled and sufficate. You need to make sure EVERYTHING is safe if you are not going to supervise it 24/7.

Just tips and ideas of the sorts of things to watch out for.

Rick

John
12-09-2004, 03:35 PM
for the input Rick! I'll be sure everything is as it should be, nice and safe!

Rick
12-09-2004, 03:59 PM
No problem. Glad to be of assistance when I can.

Rick