PDA

View Full Version : Tegu cage lighting

Anthony
07-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi. Thanks for all your advice.

I think I am going to settle with a 3 foot tall design, with the MVB inside the cage.

I wonder if I just put the lamp dome inside the cage, how likely is it that the tegu may get to the light and get injured/burned, or even damage the light and cause a fire? I keep reading in care sheets that you should not let the tegu be with a heat source inside. However, I look at alot of cage pictures and see no protection whatsoever between the lights and the tegu.

Please keep in mind that I will be using a MVB for UVB, NOT florescents, so the distance matters. It would be set somewhere about 18 - 22 inches from the lizard's back. How would I pull this off in such a way as to not risk the tegu getting burned? If the side walls are of plexiglass instead of wood, will it prevent the tegu from getting to the lights? Or can they jump up there?

This brings me into my next question. As the tegu gets bigger, the light would have to be moved further up, eventually perhaps even placed outside the cage. Should I set the light at a fixed position, and perhaps put a platform there for it to climb up to so it is close to the light? Will they climb a ramp? I ask because they are afterall terrestrial.

takagomi
08-29-2006, 08:01 AM
i really wish someone would answer this question

Diegar
08-29-2006, 12:14 PM
MVBs will get hot. you want to have them covered and protected. Inside the cage isn't bad, as long as it doesn't get too hot inside. Cages that have lights inside, don't need the really high powered bulbs, since having the bulb in there, will also contribute to the ambient temps of the cage. Another reason to protect the lights, is that in order to get any useful UVB from them, they need to be about 8" from the tegu. Sucks as it may, it is a fact of life.

Those that do not shield their lights, at some point, are irresponsible. Having hatchlings in the cage is one thing, but with adults, they can easily shatter any form of bulb you put in the cage. So, protect them, and your house, by caging the lights.

Here are some pics for ya (http://www.thetegu.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album201&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php)

worleygurl
08-29-2006, 12:32 PM
***********************SIDE NOTE*****************************

While it varies by brand of MVB bulbs, the recommended distance for MVB bulbs is between 12 and 18 inches. Anything closer than 12 inches and you risk harming your reptile with too much UVB, anything further than 18 inches and your reptile is not getting enough UVB. Be sure to read and follow the directions on the MVB bulb packaging and follow it exactly to achieve maximum benefits from said bulb for your reptile.

nicolerussell
08-30-2006, 02:32 AM
The distance depends on the strength of the bulbs.
If you want to have it inside the cage you can purchase a dome with a grill on the end to keep the animal away from the raw bulb. Many tegus do knock items around their cage though so you might have a problem depending on your animal and his habits.
Yes, tegus can definately climb a ramp...I believe Russ's over at KS does or did, and mine did when they were caged to add an additional level to their cage...I had a rubber maid filled with mulch and a ramp that led from the bottom to that bin...they used to bury themselves in there at night.