PDA

View Full Version : Impaction

John
02-15-2005, 06:22 PM
I was at Ben Siegels yesterday and some of the employee's were telling me it's not healthy to feed an all rodent or even mostly rodent diet as tegus can become impacted. I have never heard of this happening and Ron states: blues can infact be feed primarily rodents. My adults get small rats so their fur isn't to bad. Anything smaller gets mice. I do supplement with turkey but I still give them mice. What is your intake on this?

reptilica1386
02-15-2005, 06:37 PM
i dont think that is possible, it seems the only reason they could get impacted is from ingesting bedding or maybe basking temps are too low but there is no reason it would cause impaction although "varity is the spice of life" : P
lauren

John
02-15-2005, 06:40 PM
That's what I thought although I wanted to double check! I feed them anything they will eat (well almost anything). When I get a chance to go down to Bennetts again I'll get a Roach sampler and try them out again. They pick at the turkey but really nail the mice.

charlene
02-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Probably something that started from comparing tegus to other lizards. Bearded dragons will get impacted if they have more then a couple mice a month (they are just so sensitive lol) but I have never heard of a tegu having a problem and I know many keepers use them as a staple.

Charlene

John
02-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks, again I just wanted a re-run as I don't want to put any of my animals in harms way! Thanks for the feedback!

Brisamen
02-15-2005, 07:19 PM
Never heared of it, But I do know some tegu's can get problems sheding if they are not fed enough fruits etc. Like my red dragon Karel (which loves grapes and banana's ;) )

John
02-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Blue tegus don't get the shedding problems that the reds can develope. This is the main reason people started to Cross the Reds and the Blues. Some think eventually they will get a Red without the shedding problems.

Brisamen
02-15-2005, 07:36 PM
I know John, I'm just saying thats the only thing I know which can occure from feeding large quantities of rodents

John
02-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Bri, thanks for the input. I guess I'm in the safe zone. If any problem do arise I'll be sure to let everyone know!