PDA

View Full Version : Possible Problem

Sarcee22
08-07-2006, 03:58 AM
I have a 14 month old Red Tegu. I have had him since he was 2 months. I haven't really had any issues with him this whole time. Starting last week occasionally he makes a sweaking type of noise or a heavy type of sigh. When he is smelling with his tounge it makes a sticky noise. In the last month twice during eating he has had fluid from nostrils. He is also having a bad shed. No circulation is being cut off to toes. He seems slightly lethargic and not himself.
His eyes are clear. No discharge from nose or mouth. No heavy saliva in his mouth. Cloacca is clean. He is eating everyother day. He eats a 60% protein 40% fruit diet. Mineral supplement. He has his humidity at 60 percent. Has a basking and cool area. We have been soaking him for 20 min. Everyother day as well.
There aren't any exotic vet nearby that i trust. I am a vet tech but my practice donsnt see exotics. I can start him on Baytril suspension injections but I read that alot of the time it dosent do any good. And honestly i don't want to put him through that. Hes a really sweet lil guy. I cant find anything on oral antibiotics for reptiles. Does their digestion/metabolism break it down so its ineffective?
Any suggestions? Or am i just a worried momma? Its always different when its your own :)

worleygurl
08-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Where are you located? Could you possibly locate a trusted reptile vet elsewhere and have the vet you work for call that vet for advice? If there is wheezing/squeaking, it could possibly be a respiratory infection. I am not sure about baytril with tegus, but I do know it is commonly used with iguanas, bearded dragons, and snakes. Do you live near a college with a vet school? If need be, I can suggest two wonderful exotic vets, one in TN and one in NC that may be able to assist the vet you work for with treating this tegu.

Val
08-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Squeaking or wheezing type sounds can be respiratory infection but can also just be a temperature warning. Double check your temps, make sure they're high enough, if you need to raise them then wait a week and see if it helps the breathing.

Baytril is a safe antibiotic to use if dosed properly but it will kill good bacteria as well. If it does need to be used, add a probiotic to the diet while he's on Baytril.

I have no idea where your city is located in CA but here are northern and southern CA lists of vets:
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califn.html

Good luck :)