PDA

View Full Version : sugar gliders?

tegu_girl0
02-23-2005, 10:35 PM
any one have one? any one know some good sites on them? thx thats the next thing im geting if i can get $300 cus the glider female is $200 and i need the cage and that so please let me know.

herp_haven
02-24-2005, 12:14 AM
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/index.htm

Be sure that you know about the suger glider diet. It can be rather expensive and very complex. They also need a lot of space. Wire cages are best, with branches to climb on--but watch out, they mark their territory and if the cage is too close to the wall, you could have a stinkey wall. (especially if it is a male)

John
02-24-2005, 02:02 AM
$200 better be an adult female. You can find babies for around $75-125. Diet is rather cheap and lasts a long time. You should look into bdl, bml...something like that. You make is and freeze it (it freezes like ice cream). All you do is take out of the freezer and serve, it lasts a LONG time! I'd recommend getting a cage with pvc covered wire, one or one of those reptiariums would work great! I had a trio and they were fun. The males develope a bald spot on their head and their urine smells really bad. Good luck :-)

reptilica1386
02-26-2005, 09:16 PM
if you got any small mammal i would get a rat ( i love ratties :P) but i have heard that sugar gliders are cool too .. i guess i never wanted one since they are only active at night and i have heard they can be sort of nervous... if they are anything like the flying squirrels i had they got grumpy if you woke them durring the day :P well any who good luck with your quest for a glider
lauren

John
02-26-2005, 10:59 PM
That's true they are kind of grumpy and want to sleep during the day! Put them in a shirt pocket and they will curl up. You can go anywhere you want! Be careful with bright light as it hurts their eyes. LOL Rats...your keeping Feeders :P

Rick
02-27-2005, 06:50 AM
They have a breeding pair at the local petshop that a friend works at. They want $300.00 for the pair, used cage included.

The are both timid, the male bites. Neither do anything during the day and stay hidden. I am told they come out in the evening after the store is closed, but they eat, chitter and then return to their hiding spot.

Boring pets if you ask me. For the $300 I'd buy a few breeder rats or a dozen more breeder mice and put the rest away for an emergency reptile health fund. :)

Rick

Astigma
04-28-2005, 04:29 AM
i have a glider i got him for free his name is spider he is my 3rd glider my other two went with my ex (not a very nice word) girlfriend

prolecat
04-28-2005, 04:51 AM
thats sweet

reptilian
04-28-2005, 05:08 PM
I actually just got 2 sugar gliders this past Easter Sunday. They took a couple of weeks to get used to me but they are awesome now! Very social, not boring pets at all. They do nibble a lot at first, and you should definitely read up on their dietary requirements. It is not expensive though, they eat like a tablespoon of food a day, you can use canned chicken and fruits. Their diet is very much like a tegu's, so I feed leftovers to my tegu. It has also given me a good reason to keep fresh fruit around, which is good for me and my tegu. The only thing for me to get used to is having to feed them every single night - I have been spoiled by my reptiles who don't eat every day. I got mine for a steal - 2 females (twins) and a 4 foot wire mesh cage all for $180. Unbelievable deal, I would not expect you to find a deal like that so don't feel like you're getting ripped off. There was a guy sitting outside Wal-Mart (like where they give away kittens) who had to sell them ASAP to a good home, so I got lucky.

Astigma
05-06-2005, 05:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/astigma/spider1.jpgspider

bryn007cb
07-24-2005, 12:57 AM
I had a female i got from a lady who had no clue what she was doing, i got her and the cage for 150!! she was not use to being handled and was a pain in the butt for about3 months, we took her out at least 4 hours each night and after at least a month she calmed down. so if you are looking for an easy one to tame id get a baby. or know the people took good care of the one your looking to buy. mine seemed like she was dropped on her head once too many :? the lady did have a 6 year old son though......... hmmm just saying that if you dont want to spend the time taming a ball of angry fuzz that has trust issues i would stay away from adults!!!!! hehe now mine is at my aunts house and shes preggie!!! yay babie gliders. "shes much happier now that she has a buddy" anyone interested in babies reply i dont know how much she wants yet, or how many babies there are but i will get back to you on them :)

Brisamen
07-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Theres a forum for ads on www.thetegu.com ;)
And please post some pics of the little ones...I love cute pics ;)

bryn007cb
07-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Will do will do! :D i am so excited about them!!!