PDA

View Full Version : Questions on building a home?

Trippercook
09-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Hey all....I just got my new 3 month old B&W Argintine Tegue last Saturday. I'll be building him a new home this wekend. It will be 6x3x3. I was just wondering if I can use normal Plywood and finish it with a Exterior Latex paint? Can I use normal glass? Will it fog up? What else can I use besides glass for the front? Is there any material that are harmeful to Tegu's that I shouldn't use? Thanks in advance. [/img]

Diegar
09-19-2006, 06:10 PM
First off.. Congratz on your new Tegu. As for building the cage. Plywood is fine to use, especially because you will be sealing it with an exterior latex paint. Make sure to give that paint a lot of good ventillation to dry all of the fumes out of it. At least a week outside for this. Glass is great, if you can afford it, but it should be tempered. If not, it will be too brittle and your tegu can seriously hurt himself. Alternatives to glass would be lexan or acrylic, both sold in large sheets, usually 8'x4'. Whatever you decided to use, make sure it doesn't include Cedar. Cedar, by its nature, is very toxic to reptiles and insects alike.

Good luck on your building and get us some pics of your little one very soon! :)

Trippercook
09-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Hey...thanks for quick reply. I'm loving my new guy. I don't think he's eating yet though. I've kept meal worms and rolled outs in his cage but he just seems to barry them and his water dish. I offered him some cat food yesterday. He licked it a couple times then went and hid. This morning I took all the food out from his aquarium and I'm going to try and offer him some more cat food tonight. Should I try feeding him out of his cage? Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be swamping the boards with questions for a while. Here's some pic's of my man "Steve".

http://community.webshots.com/album/554230465VWbtjD

krystl
09-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Haha! My son named his new Tegu Steve as well. Croc Hunter fan by any chance? ;)

Diegar
09-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Feeding a single Tegu in his cage is just fine. You may wish to move to other ways of feeding (outside the cage, for example) later, but for now, it is just fine. As for the cat food though. If your Tegu is hungry, your Tegu will eat it. He will also enjoy it. But please, for his sake, don't feed it to him. Cat food is no good for him. It is nutritionally balanced and packed with stuff that a cat needs specifically. It can, down the road lead to serious health problems with your little guy. A bite or two as a rare snack, no problem, but a once or twice, or more a week meal... big problem.

Steve sure is a looker there. Again, congratz on your newest family member!!! :)