PDA

View Full Version : reds and blues

herp_haven
03-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Ok, don't hurt me... But can a blue male tegu and a red female be housed together? I thought I would ask since there is such a size differance when they are adults...

maddogg
03-02-2005, 11:26 PM
i have no experience with this topic so anybody correct me if i'm wrong, but from what i have read you can house them together but it's not advised. it would be better if you introduce them when they are younger and keep an eye on them to see if one is being more aggresive than the other. someone on the tegus forum from kingsnake.com has a blue and argentine B&W housed together with no problems and there is a huge size difference. once again i'm not saying that this is right so wait until someone comments on this. good luck.

-matt

Rick
03-03-2005, 12:07 AM
I have 2 Argentine black and whites, 1 argentine red and 1 blue tegu all in the same enclosure. I have had no issues. I think I'd only be concerned about the temperments of each and if there is currently a large size difference. I would be very careful not to put them together and walk away. I put mine together one at a time over serveral days, few hours at a time and fully supervised for the entire period.

Reds & blues have also been proven to be able to produce offspring so watch out for this if you do not want eggs.

Rick

herp_haven
03-03-2005, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the input.

I haven't gotten a red yet, but the albino blues are so pricey that I am leaning towards getting a red female. The reds are gorgeous, as well. I have been thinking about it for some time. I think I am going to save the albino blues for later.

The reason for having a male and female is because I am hoping for little ones ;) When I go to purchase a red I am going to get one that is close to Loki's size, if I can find one. If not, I'll get a young red and house them separately until the red catches up.