PDA

View Full Version : questions on breeding

gunznrosez13
10-01-2006, 12:25 AM
1. if i get a male and female hatchlings intending on breeding them are they able to be related?

2.at what age can they start producing

3. am i able to get one now and then get another adult of the opposite sex later or should they grow up together

4. is it true if i put 2 together i have to have another cage ready b/c they dont get along. if this is the case i might not be able to risk it because an 8x4 already takes up half my room.

5. if you are knowledgable on breedong then how easy is it to get rid of them and how long did it take.

thanks abunch in advance

daniel miller

ps. if someone has a current breeding pair that gets along together and is somewhat tame and is willing to sell email me at uconnrules2001@yahoo.com or pm me thx

blair0228
10-01-2006, 12:32 AM
1. Its never a good Idea to breed anything related.

2. around 4 years if they hibernate every year

3. You could get one now and one later I would think

4. You can house the two together with no problems as long as you introduce them and monitor their behavior prehand to make sure they get along.

5. Ask Rick or Varnyard, they will be the best to ask.

I have not personally bred mine yet, so I can be wrong on some of these, but from I have read this is what I know.

gunznrosez13
10-01-2006, 01:33 AM
that came out wrong let me say that again

5. how easy is it to get rid of the babies........

varnyard
10-01-2006, 07:02 AM
quote="gunznrosez13"]1. if i get a male and female hatchlings intending on breeding them are they able to be related?

No, they do not need to be related, this would be inbreeding.

2.at what age can they start producing

Tegus start breeding at the age of three. I have heard of males breeding at the age of two, but I have not seen this in mine. I have seen them mock breed, however they did not breed.

3. am i able to get one now and then get another adult of the opposite sex later or should they grow up together

You can buy one now and then another one later, this would not be a problem.

4. is it true if i put 2 together i have to have another cage ready b/c they dont get along. if this is the case i might not be able to risk it because an 8x4 already takes up half my room.

The only way this could be a problem is if you are feeding them or breeding. After the female is bred she will need to be housed separate from the male.

5. if you are knowledgable on breedong then how easy is it to get rid of them and how long did it take.

I have sold all of my tegus but two, someone backed out on the deal with them or they would have been gone as well. I had 115 hatchlings this year. Rick also sold out.

thanks abunch in advance

Glad to help!! :)

daniel miller

ps. if someone has a current breeding pair that gets along together and is somewhat tame and is willing to sell email me at uconnrules2001@yahoo.com or pm me thx[/quote]