PDA

View Full Version : What's easier to breed...Mice or Rats?

Trippercook
10-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey all....Sorry for all the questions lately but they need to be asked. I'm going to try to breed either mice or rats. Is one easier to breed then the other? Does one make a better pet since that's pretty much what the breeders will be? My snakes and tegu will eat either so it realy comes down to what's easier to keep. Thanks in advance.

blair0228
10-19-2006, 10:18 PM
I think Rats actually make great pets. I have had one before and I absolutely loved it.

starion88esir
10-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Rats are a better meal.

CRG
11-12-2006, 05:47 PM
I vote for rats too.Rats dont eat their babies like mice do.And they make great pets, very friendly and smart..But they do require bigger caging and more food then mice.Personally I think mice smell much more then rats too but thats just my opinion..

snakehandler
01-07-2008, 09:11 AM
theyre both easy to breed. rats and mice can be given grains as in chicken food but they also need some dog food (pellets) to avoid them eating their young.

dadspets
02-16-2008, 04:39 AM
to me both are very easy to breed. I breed mice, rats and rabbits for feeder food for my animals and to sell.

Angelrose
02-16-2008, 05:45 AM
both are very easy to breed :wink: I did both :wink:
a couple of the rats made very good pets :D and you have to clean both of their houses very, very often :roll: but I thought the smell of the rats were more overwhelming then the mice :oops: and for some reason I did not sleep well knowing the rats were probably smarter then me :lol: :lol:

Reddevil95128
04-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I breed both mice and rats and as far as pets go rats would be the better pick I started my colony out as rat pups so I could have time to interact with them a bit before they started breeding and they show no aggression towards me even with babys my mice colony on the other hand does nip when your getting babys but on the flip side produce more then my rat colony as far as diet goes I feed both colonys the same both get mostly rodent blocks with some fresh carrots and game bird food which is a mix of grains ,corn, seeds,and dried veggies I also give them alfalfa

rrcoolj
06-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Rats are alot friendlier and easier to deal with. Rats aren't as frantic as mice and rats don't really bite. Although rats can get much bigger. But I would still go with rats

HaskovoPunch
08-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Rats need space.

schiffy
06-11-2009, 01:51 AM
i just started breeding mice, and they are a little bit more shy to people than rats, but it just depends on the size on your tegu for food since mice get about 3 inches permanently, and rats get much bigger, for a bigger tegu.

Pikey
12-15-2009, 10:50 PM
ASF rats breed real nice & almost no smell, but more than 1 male per tank and they will ripe each other to shreads, & they will bite the hand that feeds