PDA

View Full Version : Help With Tegu's Skin

m432
10-27-2006, 09:04 PM
While letting my Tegu roam this afternoon, he crawled underneath the refrigerator. When he came out, he had some kind of sticky peanut-butter like stuff on his back and part of his skin. He is in the bathtub in warm water right now (5PM EST), and will be for quite awhile. Any suggestions of how to safely wash it off? I tried to use a soft sponge, but it only seemed to spread it around.

YorkOC
10-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Maybe it is some type of a grease. I would take some dust from the substrate that you use and spread it on the sticky area, then maybe it will wipe off. I dont think it is a big problem unless it is toxic. It should come off with his new shed or once he burrows in his enclosure. Just change out your substrate in a few days.

good Luck

Nero557
10-29-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm with YorkOC, it probably is grease, try using a dry cloth on the tegu after he dries up.

m432
10-29-2006, 12:29 PM
I wound up increasing the humidity in his hide where his heating pad is on at night, and kept checking to see when he emerged in the morning. When he did, I used mineral oil and a damp soft cloth to try and wipe of the excess at the recommendation of the vet. Most of the grease (?) had already come off, and this helped with the rest.

Thank you both for your advice, greatly appreciated

Matt