PDA

View Full Version : Hibernation Questions

Satur9
10-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Can a tegu get sick/die while in hibernation if they did not eat enough before or will they just get up and eat? I'm new to lizards that hibernate and don't want my little guy, who just started hibernating, to get sick. He lives in a giant fishtank and has been sleeping in some shirts in his hide for about a week without basking or eating and he feels very cold but isn't dead. I think he is just hibernating but I'm not sure. Please help me! :(

Johelian
10-31-2006, 07:25 AM
A tegu wont die of hunger while hibernating, since their metabolism slows right down. They shouldnt even lose too much weight, so if your tegu is getting skinnier, its likely to be a health problem. Its a greater risk to have their stomachs full of food when they go down, as it wont digest and will rot in there.

What are the temperatures in your cage? Basking spot etc?

Satur9
10-31-2006, 04:50 PM
He isn't getting skinnier, I'm just checking before there is a problem because I am somewhat new to hibernating reptiles. The basking area is about 90 F. and the other side isroom temperature which is 74 for most of the time

Satur9
11-01-2006, 06:45 PM
I would also like to know if I should check on my Tegu periodically while he is hibernating or just leave him alone until he comes out in spring

emma_ra7
11-07-2006, 09:44 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Should I continually check my Tegu while she is hibernating or leave her alone. Also every few days or so she will get up and bask but she won't eat anything I offer. Is that normal? She will bask for a short time and the go back to sleep for a day or three. And she seems thin to me but what is to thin? I am new at this also and paranoid that she is going to die if she doesn't eat.

Rick
11-08-2006, 06:49 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Should I continually check my Tegu while she is hibernating or leave her alone.

Disturbing a hibernating tegu may cause a poor hibernation. In a poor hibernation the tegu my not be able to drop their metabolism enough. This is when a tegu can loose weight and have issues.

Also every few days or so she will get up and bask but she won't eat anything I offer. Is that normal?

If you are going to allow your tegu to hibernate, I would not offer food. If they hibernate with food in their gut it can rot in there. I stop feeding two weeks prior to hibernating them, in this time they still have heat/lights. After the two weeks in which they can digest, I turn them off. No more heat/lights until spring.

She will bask for a short time and the go back to sleep for a day or three.

If you are not bringing the temps down, if you are still offering food she is having a poor hibernation. She is trying, but can't. You must either try to keep her from hibernating or you must allow her to hibernate fully.

And she seems thin to me but what is to thin? I am new at this also and paranoid that she is going to die if she doesn't eat.

I have not had a tegu die during hibernation. There are things you must address, but the main two are mentioned above. Allow them to digest what food they have and then turn off the heat. Mine are fully hibernating between 58 to 59F

Rick

rossisibe
11-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Is 64 degrees a safe temp to hibernate at? Will he have a good hibernation?

reddawg
11-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Well I might as well jump into this discussion too. I am also facing the same issues, being a new Tegu owner. When you say you must chose to hibernate them or not to, how do keep them from hibernating? Even with the high temps, and lights on, mine little one still is trying to hibernate. I think maybe since he/she ate a bite three or so days ago, I'll keep up the heat for another week and then turn it off.