PDA

View Full Version : feeding

squirrel
03-17-2005, 10:47 PM
I have ordered a book about my tegu.I got some cypress mulch,he still prefers his flannel blanket.I was wondering about worms,can they eat them?I thought I read something on this site that they can,but I want to make sure,squirrel :?:

reptilica1386
03-17-2005, 11:04 PM
LOL sure why not as long as they arent intestinal worms... jk sorry :P
lauren

Rick
03-17-2005, 11:25 PM
I have ordered a book about my tegu.I got some cypress mulch,he still prefers his flannel blanket.I was wondering about worms,can they eat them?I thought I read something on this site that they can,but I want to make sure,squirrel :?:

The book will probably give you the basics, but most books are pretty outdated so you are free to check here with any questions or concerns.

First I will answer your question. Worms are fine, mealworms, superworms, wax worms, etc. You will hear a few people who think you need to crush the worms head to kill them first. I never have, neither have many of the breeders I know. Bert at Agama International is one of, if not the largest breeder of tegus and he also agrees that it's not necessary to crush their heads prior to feeding.

Just make sure they are all from a trusted source and avoid feeding anything 'wild caught' as it can harbor parasites that your tegu may not be able to deal with.

As far as the substrate, cypress mulch is great. Beware of the flannel blanket. Regular use of cloth can also harbor mites and bacteria, as well as mold which can make your tegu very sick. Another concern would be the tegu getting wrapped up and tangled inside it. This is something to watch out for.

Rick

drfish
03-18-2005, 02:28 PM
And he could risk losing his toes on a blanket if they get hooked. Sure someones mentioned that already, but thought i'd re-iterate it.