PDA

View Full Version : Shedding in patches ok?

Anthony
11-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi, is it ok for a tegu to seeminly shed in patches like an iguana? I have noticed that my iguana sheds like hands, legs, head, back, tail etc. never at the same time. MY young tegu of a few months old had been seemingly shedding all at once so far. But this last time, it shed everything except the tail, the ENTIRE tail, not the tail tip. Right up to the base, it hasn't shed, and it seems to have finnished shedding.

It's not like retained shed where you can pry or soak it off. It's like normal skin really, very tight. Except there is a small tab at the edge where it had shed before. But it doesn't look like the shed on the tail is READY to come off, not that is was supposed to come off but was unable to. But the rest of the body has shed already for like a week.

Daggit_Columbian
11-09-2006, 03:46 PM
my tegu is the same... it's almost like his head, body and tail are on different schedules sometimes :roll: It's okay though, as long as it sheds again before his body. what i am trying to say is that if they shed the same number of times (head and body) you should be alright,.... i think lol

hope this helps
-j

m432
11-10-2006, 02:33 AM
That sounds pretty similar to my tegu as well, his sheds usually take about two days to complete. The thing to watch is the tail. Make sure that it sheds completely, because constrictions can occur in the segments toward the end, which can lead to deformations in the tail.

Hope that this helps.