PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever own a Coatimundi or skunk?

reptileking
11-13-2006, 04:35 PM
I was thinking about getting a coatimundi next time this next year, but would like to talk with someone that has owned one before. I have started to do a little research on them and found out that they are busy animals. The other one I am thinking about getting is a skunk. I have heard that they like to dig at the carpet and tear it up. I also read that they pick the spot for the litter box. Any information and stories from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Grimlock
11-13-2006, 07:21 PM
well, i once looked into getting a skunk. they are a lot like ferrets it seems, which i used to have, and if they really are like ferrets then they definately will dig up your carpet. my ferrets did that obsessively and i nothing really stopped them, i ended up duct-taping plastic carpet protector to the floor, THEN spraying it all with bitter apple, otherwise the little buggers would just rip it up with their teeth...but of course, eventually they just started digging at the edges of the protector. very
neat pets but definately best in homes with no carpet! :wink:

skunks can also be fairly temperamental i've heard, prone to jealousy and random acts of nastiness, but i'm sure that varies greatly among individuals.

coatimundis...well, i once saw a show about a lady who was giving up her pet coatimundi to a sanctuary, because it was destroying her house. they are like a cross between a racoon and a monkey, and have very sharp claws and arms designed to tear open logs...or walls, in your home.

be very careful when looking for non-domestic mammals as pets, they can be really challenging. i'd recommend ferrets if you want something different, they're a lot of fun (apart from the carpet thing...oh and they can open cupboards and drawers, but that's another story :wink: )

RehabRalphy
11-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes I "use" to own one. A yearling male named Furr. Now you must noticed I said "use" to own one. I kept him for a few months. Picture a wild ferret on steroids. They are pretty big animals, always getting into things, and dont mind comands that well.

Furr loved food, always wanted to get to food. He knows how to open doors, open lids, boxes, etc. He would get into anything he wanted and I couldnt stop him. Dont even try to use child proof locks, they'll get through them too.

Also he loved too tease my animals. He could run up to the cat, pull his tail, make the cat angry, then run off. Then come back and do it again. You would think that he would stand up and fight, but Furr was a big wimp and would back down when the cat go upset and attacked.

He was a great pet. Loved to run around, but he was to much of a handfull. He would get on top of everything.

Also another factor is the smell. They are just like ferrets but its even worse. They have that natural scent that smells bad. Even though Furr's gland was removed, he still smelled to high heaven.

They are great animals as long as you can devote all of your time to it. 1 hour a day with out of cage time isnt enough. They need at least 10 hours of the day to free roam and have activity around humans.

Keep in mind they are wild animals! You can not tame them. They will bite if you piss them off. If you try to hand feed food, expect to get nipped. Dont think about taking anything away from them, they will show you whos boss and try nipping.

I hope this helps.

Anymore questions just ask.

reptileking
11-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I was afraid that is what I was goign to hear about coatimundis! I have always wanted ferrets, but dont think I can keep it due to the smell. I have also had sugar gliders, but found a home for them because of the smell. I think I will jsut stick to reptiles, dogs, and cats. :D I could live with owning a chinchilla though :wink:

My dream, when done with college and have my own "zoo," is to have a mob of wallabies! They are so cool. I have talked to several breeders and have fallen in love with them.

Thanks again for all the info. I kinda turned myself away from the skunk idea a while ago, but I am always reconsidering it.

Thanks

YourSkankyMom
09-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I never had one for a pet, but when I lived in Panama we had wild ones. They can get into garbage cans, open screen doors and make themselves a general pain. I also saw one completely kick the crap out of the neighbor's cocker spaniel once.

wingnut
09-07-2007, 07:54 PM
We have 2 ferrets and yes there is a smell, but I wouldn't consider it a reason not to keep them (I realize some people are more sensitive to smell than others). The key is keeping their cage clean, that means scooping their poop and litter every day. Also using the right litter helps a lot, after trying several alternatives we settled on Feline Pine, with good results. I also do a full clean with bleach cleaner every 2 weeks or so. This translates to about 10 minutes a day to change food and water and scoop the soiled litter, plus 1/2 hour every 2 weeks for the full clean. I have given them baths, but that doesn't really seem to effect the smell that much, most of it comes from their poop, the body oder is not that strong unless you have them up to you face.

Based on our experience I would recommend getting at least 2, they are very active and social and it is really difficult to give a single one enough attention to keep them happy.

We have been really happy with ours and they are great for kids, ours lives in our 4-year-old's room.

TokayK
09-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I have heard that skunks are good animals to have, very smart and friendly. However, check with your local laws, here in Cali, they are illegal to keep, much like ferrets. Again, they are wild...Have you ever thought about doing wildlife rehab? You could definately have your own zoo that way, and you'd be helping wildlife!
Oh yeah, wallabies tend to be very skittish, they do not make good pets, and the dept. of fish and wildlife confiscates them if found on private properties.

Lexi
12-03-2007, 07:44 PM
hey..I have a Coatimundi named Gonzo..he is about 4-5 months old now.. He is a little terror but the cutest thing that came into my life... they are very playfull...but will bite if they have somthing and you try to take it away from them.