PDA

View Full Version : Blackthroat

gunznrosez13
11-15-2006, 11:48 PM
I was wondering if ya'll with expirience with these beautiful monitors could give me some helpful sites or just plain info. Instead of 2 tegu i might get 1 tegu and one black throat or just a black throat. There is no way my mom will have 2 BT it here houses though. So if you know any great resources so I can become more knowledgable of the animal that would be great!

thanks.

daniel

gunznrosez13
11-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Or the white throated monitor

blair0228
11-16-2006, 03:36 AM
can't seem to be interested in one species longer than a week, eh?
hahaha.

eradi
11-16-2006, 03:12 PM
If you have never had either and you want a tame pet get an argentine
b/w tegu. In my experience they are by far the easiest and most tame
of the larger lizards. Tegus being captive bred have fewer maladies and
ailments with overall better temperments. Having both I also feel tegus
have a better "pet" personality. Even though there are now SOME CB
black throats that doesn't guarantee a tame "pet" type lizard.
Many BT's are wild caught and can succumb to respiratory and digestive
tract infections. They stress much more than tegus do during transport
and acclimation. Go on kingsnake and check the classifieds for juvenile
or adult tegus and BT's. You will find many more tame tegus than BT's.
And lets not forget about the growth potential! Yes, tegus can chow down
and eat a considerable amount. However, a BT will eat even more.
Bottom line is if you don't provide enough food for a BT you will have a
an unhealthy and unhappy lizard with a big mouth. MANY BT's are loud
hissers and tail whippers. With their size potential of 5' to 6' I would not recommend this lizard to a beginner or amateur. Don't get me wrong,
I think they are an awesome lizard but it is my opinion that they need much more time and dedication than a tegu. Take your time and be responsible in your decision.

Again, this is MY experience and opinion which I feel most would agree
with. I am in no way giving BT's a bad name, I love them myself.
I just feel they are for the dedicated and more experienced herper.

There are quite a few here who breed tegus like Rick and Varnyard.
I think Rick has sold his hatchlings but Varnyard may have some left.?
I know people have been more than happy with V's tegus and praised
him for his animals, shipping methods and service.

Grimlock
11-16-2006, 05:37 PM
i really think that if your mom is anything less than 100% on-board with you getting a large carnivorous lizard then you should really, really wait until you have your own place. how old are you anyway? if you're younger than 16 it's probably best to wait until you are older before you purchase a large, hard-to-handle and potentially very dangerous creature.

reptileking
11-16-2006, 06:38 PM
i really think that if your mom is anything less than 100% on-board with you getting a large carnivorous lizard then you should really, really wait until you have your own place. how old are you anyway? if you're younger than 16 it's probably best to wait until you are older before you purchase a large, hard-to-handle and potentially very dangerous creature.

Another thing to consider is if you are going away for college. I didnt even think about that when I had all my reptiles. So I had to get rid of them. Now dont get me wrong, I really enjoyed having them, but now I wish I still had them. Just something to consider. Dont want you to spend all the money and then have to get rid of them.

TheNero
11-16-2006, 07:29 PM
The above is for everyone younger getting reptiles to think about, do you have place for them to go when you leave and go away to college, you won't be able to keep them in a dorm, but if you are living at home for college then I see no problem. I know there are a few younger people who own right now, daggit umm a few others, just something to think about.

Daggit_Columbian
11-16-2006, 09:01 PM
ha what the dorm police don't know won't hurt them.... i am just kidding, my kid sister loves my boy and worst case senario i would leave hime with her.

gunznrosez13
11-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Blair-haha its not that i get tired of different kinds of lizards, I am just very curious and always want things.

I am 14 going on 15 (and one of the youngest on this site) but have been doing research on primarly tegus (some monitors etc.) for a year now. My mom is 100% on board with whatever I get she just doesn't want her whole house filled with enclosures. We both have thought what I am going to de in 4 years (I was held back) when I head off to college. I belong to a family that is obbsessed with animals, and my younger bros will care for my animals while I'm away. He will learn by watching me clean, feed, and everything else that is essential to raising these herps. I wouldn't call myself an beginner in herps when it comes to knowledge but I am classified as one because I don't physically own one right now. So as far as a place for it to stay and be cared for I can provide that untill I'm out of school. I'm not looking for a affectionate pet or one that loves human interaction as much as one that will be interesting/entertaining to watch and just fun to be around. So having a "tame" lizard isn't what I'm after. These WT or BT is probably the monitor I have researched the least and will deff allow plenty of months for research before I commit to owning one. The main reason I posted this topic in the beginning was to receive feedback on peoples experience on them(whether it was positive or negative).

TheNero
11-16-2006, 10:08 PM
thats all understandable, but are you also going to be there to buy for food, have the money to pay for its food while your also supporting yourself for the first time. Just stuff to think about like I said every family is different and if you have one that will help you to take care of them while your gone, all the power to you. :P

gunznrosez13
11-16-2006, 10:59 PM
thanks. But still curious what monitor to go with if I wasn't to get a tegu. Don't think about my age or experience or whatever just your opinion on the best one to own.

TheNero
11-16-2006, 11:21 PM
I've always heard a good first monitor would be a sav smallest I believe, but then again all I know are tegu's and Boa's, roachs, spiders, and emp scorps :P

TheNero
11-16-2006, 11:27 PM
and another thing I saw that you said you couldn't afford to feed a sav, if you can't feed a sav I don't see how you plan to feed a black throat. Unless your parents are willing to help pay not only for the reptile but also its food. Tegu's and Monitors both eat a good bit, we are talking fresh veggies, rats, mice, fish, chicken, that and you will see your electric bill go up from the multiple bulbs going, a few for just heat, and your basking UVB bulb. Now again I know you want us to think beyond your age, but if you are feeding them on your weekly money your getting from mom and dad, heh that would of been nice when I was a kid. You should think about the cost of housing, how big the enclosure your gonna be building is gonna be, these reptiles grow fast. 8x4x4 would very nice, and some what costly if you cant' do it yourself and I'm not sure you would be able to. Are you going to be able to pay for vet check ups, vet bills if it gets sick. These are all questions you gotta think about, and if you can't maybe you should think about getting a job if you still have a passion for reptiles as much as we all do. I know at one point i had to for a bit of extra money to build an enclosure, and I know how hard money can be to come by lol i'm in college paying for rent, college, working full time lifes tough, but the the pleasure in owning these animals bring is worth it.

gunznrosez13
11-16-2006, 11:29 PM
forget i said that. by the time i get it i will have my summer job and rake in a reasonable amount. That wont be a problem.

TheNero
11-16-2006, 11:29 PM
another thing would be is your family ok with say having roach colonys, mealworms, and crickets in the house. This can help the cost of feeding alot starting your own colonys to feed from early, I would say start now so that they are large enough to feed from when the time comes. You can start all 3 for pretty cheap maybe 20 dollars or so each. some 10 gallon containers, the food, sub, fresh veggies once every week or so, some heat tape if needed, and your good to go.

gunznrosez13
11-16-2006, 11:45 PM
they are fine with that. i use to have a mouse colony but the damn things ate each other after 2 months. Im startin to like savs alot. thanks for your help and keep it comin if you can!

hoosier
11-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Hahaha thats why i got my job. im 17. i needed money for the herps. lol
i love your passion for the creatures gunznroses but i have to agree with the others. i have a tegu, 2 bearded dragons, and a turtle with another tegu on the way in december but as i get older i see that i am having to get ready for collage. i am fortunate enough to have a collage with the major i want(vert. zoology) and relitively close to home. i will have to live on campus but luckily i can come home to them every weekend and im teaching my parents (who dont like reptiles, but LOVE my teg) how to feed and clean and do all the up keep to keeep them alive until i can get there on the weekends and take over the responsibility i took on when i first got them.
and you said before "I'm not looking for a affectionate pet or one that loves human interaction as much as one that will be interesting/entertaining to watch and just fun to be around. So having a "tame" lizard isn't what I'm after." well i think your in for a surprise. an untame large BT wont be fun to be around. i had an agressive SAV and i thought it would be cool also. it was until at feeding time i almost get my finger taken off and dont even ask about the cleaning. i had to throw a shirt over his head to keep him calm. i believe that a "Tame" lizard is what you should go for. the large lizards are possible dangers to keepers who dont know the behavior ( do you truely know the intelligence level of thes creatures? they can be mean and nasty and act calm till you get close to do a 180 and take a nice nip out of your hand) i luckily got rid of my boy. i would stick with the tegus because they are quite docile and usually dont have a mean streak like some BTs do.
My advie is to stick with the tegus until you get a little more experience. im not trying to put you down or nothing i just believe that 1 month experience is more valuable than any book can tell you to do. especially since each animal has its own distinct personallity.

thats just my opinion and experiences. i wish you good luck with your decision. i just hope that you make a wise and informed one so you and the animal wont regreat it later in the future.

Mat

gunznrosez13
11-17-2006, 01:04 AM
OK ill listen. I will be getting 1 argentine b&w or 2 blues this season. I think I made a waise choice. but the first thing i do when im out of college will be a large monitor. but for now I will get a docile, tame, TEGU.

Later (thanks for input and glad I changed my mind. i can be sturbborn sometimes)

Daniel

hoosier
11-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Im glad you did kid. :D i think it is a wise choice starting small and then working your way up to the larger lizards. iim just like you. i can be stubborn at times but i finally figure out whats best for me AND the animal. but once im out of collage i plan to get a breeding pair of goulds monitors (varanus gouldii) they are by far my favorite varanid :D
also if you are trying to get some info on the different species and really good forum to visit is
www.varanus.nl
its the best place for varanid lovers. its like the tegu is to tegus except for monitors :D

Mat

Daggit_Columbian
11-17-2006, 02:03 AM
my favorite are the green tree monitors.... $700 for a pair i saw once, i am hell bent on getting one. 8)

reptileking
11-17-2006, 04:17 PM
my favorite are the green tree monitors.... $700 for a pair i saw once, i am hell bent on getting one. 8)

I have to agree with you. I saw one at the Indy Reptile Expo earlier this month, but they were asking $1500 (full grown).

reptileking
11-17-2006, 04:24 PM
OK ill listen. I will be getting 1 argentine b&w or 2 blues this season. I think I made a waise choice. but the first thing i do when im out of college will be a large monitor. but for now I will get a docile, tame, TEGU.
Later (thanks for input and glad I changed my mind. i can be sturbborn sometimes)
Daniel

You made an excellent choice. I had to go through getting rid of all the animals due to college and it is hard, especially when you raised them from when they were little. Since I am not a freshman anymore, I went with an apartment this year and now I am slowly getting more reptiles. I honestly think I have a sick addiction. lol. Right now I have 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 blue tongue skink, and a corn snake. My roommate has 1 dog, 1 Cal. King snake, and a corn snake. We are both looking for a python right now. I want a woma and he wants a Ringed. Once you get to the point when you have to leave, you will know exactly what I am talking about. It is hard to leave your pets in someone elses care.

I was originally going to have my little brother just take care of mine too. I was still going to get rid of some, but wanted to keep my bearded dragon as he was my first and was attached to him. I noticed that my brother just wasnt as mature as I wanted him to be and I felt as if I couldnt trust him with the BD. So I gave him away to a co-worker (worked Part time at a pet store) and she ended up killing him. She simply starved him.

I am glad that you took everyones advice and i am sure you will not regret it. Congrats on getting your first (I think you said it was going to be your first) reptile!

gunznrosez13
11-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Yes, sadly it will probably be my first reptile if i dont take up this rescue beardie. I have wanted a reptile and have done tedious research since I have been 10 years old. I would basically do my research homework before my graded assignments. Thanks for ya'll's advice and I'm happy i made this decision too and my parents are extremely happy as well. My brothers hate tegus because they think they are mean just cuz the pet shop's monitors are mean, but they will quickly see otherwise. I will let you know when I get a 1.0 arg or 1.1 blue

Thanks again

Daniel

hoosier
11-18-2006, 03:16 PM
arg n&ws are quite easy to find but the blues will be a little more dificult and alot more costly(especially since you want a 1.1 pair)
good luck in your tegu endevors and let us know when you do get 1 (or 2 lol) :D

Mat

gunznrosez13
11-18-2006, 11:04 PM
I already know where im getting my blues from if you do and it will be very very affordable. I have done my homework.

hoosier
11-19-2006, 08:47 PM
where? im lookin into them and need to find a reputable breeder. i know of ron st.pierre but he wont have any for sale this year. :(
where r u getting yours? :)

Mat

butche
11-21-2006, 04:45 PM
bts are neat but not for everyone they have a nasty attitude but do tame down somewhat you have to learn to read the animal mine gets really nasty when i wake hem up . and some times he trys to bite and you don,t want to be bit by one they can crush giant snails in the wild so what do you think they could do to your fingers.i just thought i would add my 2cents

blair0228
11-22-2006, 04:00 AM
where? im lookin into them and need to find a reputable breeder. i know of ron st.pierre but he wont have any for sale this year. :(
where r u getting yours? :)

Mat

He is getting them through me, I have a very quality and cheap breeder here in Az that breeds blues, albinos, snows, het for albinos, and reds. I have two of his het for albinos, and I can testify that they are top of the line. His name is Kelly Paul, and come next summer if you still want some just contact me and I can hook you up!