PDA

View Full Version : Question about waste...

Leezard
03-22-2005, 08:16 PM
:?: My Tegu's Fecal matter is normally pretty runny. I have just started feeding him more mice, and less turkey - so I'm not sure if the change in diet will improve it.

I'm just trying to find a good way to keep his enclosure clean. He's well over 2 feet big, and it's starting to get to be a smelly problem - lol.

Is it normal for his waste to be this runny? If so - what's a better way to keep his enclosure clean?

Rick
03-22-2005, 08:45 PM
I have found that a mainly rodent diet keeps the feces firmer. A healthy tegu with a proper diet will still occasionally have a runny or smelly stool, but it should not be normal. If it's too runny for too long your tegu could dehydrate.

I have recently started adding 93% to 99% lean ground turkey to my tegus diet, but they also eat a steady supply of rodents and the stools are fairly firm. I did attempt ground chicken for one meal and it became runny. Too many bananas seemed to upset their digestion as well.

Rick

Leezard
03-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks Rick -

So far, no big mess. Do you have any advise as to what substrate to use? I have him on coconut bark right now - we had him on newspaper, but that was hard to change out every day.

I like the beardies substrate - I use sand for them, and it scoops so nice - I know I shouldn't use that for a Tegu, needs the moisture, possible impaction problems - but I'm looking for something easier, if possible. I want to let him burrow too - he loves to burrow.

beardiedragon
03-23-2005, 07:59 PM
runny smelly stool can also be a sign of parasitic infection. Runny stool can cause dehydration and should be monitored closely