PDA

View Full Version : picky sav

mike
12-17-2006, 06:30 PM
hi everyone, I have a 2 foot male sav, his previous diet was 30 or so giant mealworms and a dozen crix every day, 5 adult mice every saturday, and a meal or two of ground turkey or waxworms every 2 weeks, along with occasional land snails. Now he will do anything for a mealworm, turkey, waxworm, snail, or mouse, but will not touch crickets. Are they too small for him now? I think he needs a more varied diet. Thanks.

Mochasr4me
12-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Yes, crickets are too small for him. Try locusts or other large insects.

From the sounds of it, you are feeding him a good varied diet.... maybe too much! If I remember what I've read/heard, Sav's have a tendancy too eat too much and get obese. Obese reptiles have short life spans. I would cut his meals down to every other day. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I would change him over too a 2-3 rat fuzzies/hoppers if you can instead of mice. There is alot more flesh to rats then mice.

Broodwich
12-18-2006, 03:21 AM
Hey mike,

varanus exanthematicus is a monitor who will travel large areas (a couple acres) in the wild in the persuit of food. This keeps them in shape and gives them the widest most varied diet as possible. With that being said Savannah monitors have several food sources open to them...

The main thing I have found with Savannah monitors is that they are highly insectivorus and feeding them a diet of all mice can be detrimental to there health. So Savannah Monitors up to 3 feet should be fed a diet of 1 small rat twice a week (a total of two small rats a week). Rats have more protien and nessicary vitamins that Savannahs can use. As far as crickets goes they are too small for him but you will want to feed him some sort of insect that will allow him to chase for excersize...I recomend discoid roaches. Other Insects I highly recomend are superworms, silkworms, goliath worms (captive bred not wild caught), and snails. The occasional 93% lean or better raw turkey or some home cooked chicken works as a good treat during the week.

With feeding Savannahs they are one of the captive reptiles that have been knowen to become "obese" under captive conditions. For this reason they must be exercised. Providing insects to chase and taking this monitor out for quiality time is excellent ways to provide excercise. Do not feed them every day...every secdon or third day is the better way to go!

And a last word of caution...always use a high quality calcium multivitamin on all your savs food...I have had good luck with Miner-all I or any product by rep cal.

Well hope it helps...PM me if you have any Q's...have a good one and happy herping :D