PDA

View Full Version : Whoa...attack of Karel

Brisamen
03-31-2005, 06:14 AM
I was cleaning the enclosure and sure...I know Karel was hungry. I already was tawing a rat for him.. (Yes I cleaned my hands after taking the rat out of the fridge)
He seemed to be not interested in the progress of scooping up what ever mess he made and so I kept on scooping and all.
After some minutes he came towards me with a glinster in his eye and seemed all interested in the progress...Now I know when hes hungry I have to watch my steps. And lucky for me I am not easely frightend of animals else I would've never come near him again as he had tried to eat the spoon I am cleaning with some weeks ago (while it was in my hand...man the power he has in his yaws!) And he had tried to eat the grip I use to get something in or out while hes eating the night before (he sometimes is a bit strange with those things..)
And mind you this is a tegu I can pet and all..
Well to make a short story even shorter; after some scooping and things he launched an attack on me! I keept a close eye on him so I sumbled out of the way on time and he snapt on the carton I had in my hand while I was moving backwards, he fell out of his enclosure and sat on the floor a bit goofy...looking around as to say: "hey...what happend, where am I???"
Well as my dog was taking up interest in him and I didnt want the dumb animal to get bitten in the nose by Karel, I picked Karel up in a strange way I admit but I was kinda in a hurry...And trew him back in the enclosure as he was trying to either bite me or just warn me with an open mouth he was not pleased with me picking him up in that way.
Well nedeles to say...I need to get busy on calming him more... :P

charlene
03-31-2005, 06:41 AM
Better the carton then your hand though.
Is he still timid or does he just have a crazy feeding response like mine?

Charlene

Brisamen
03-31-2005, 09:47 AM
Well I guess I am always that lucky to buy animals that have a screw or even a few screws loose in their heads and Karel isnt an exeption that...
His feeding respons is really crazy. He'll act on everything that moves (hand, grips, cats, cloths that I am cleaning with outside his enclosure, etc). When hes hungry enough he even looks at my dog as a nice snack...and were talking about a big 2 foot high dog of 30 kilo's...

Rick
03-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Well I guess I am always that lucky to buy animals that have a screw or even a few screws loose in their heads

Does that go for your choice in male human mammals too? ;)

Draco, the tegu I got from John, is scarey at times. He is not aggressive at all but he attacks "white". For examples, if I reach into the enclosure with a white papertowel to spot clean a little mess.. well.. he lunges. He has done the same while on the floor when my son walked by with white socks on. Both times we were lucky to be quick and now we know him a bit better. Now I remove him from the enclosure for spot cleaning and we wear shoes when he is out. :P

Rick

Junior
03-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Boy do I know that feeling. When I clean Ladies enclosure I wear leather gloves. One time she was so pissed at me I guess I took to long cleaning or something. She lunged across the enclosure grabbed ahold of my glove with her jaws. She would not let go I gave a slight tug. But was to afraid of injuring her. So I tried to scare her by holding her up off the ground she still would not let go. It was so bad I pulled up a chair and waited her out she let go after ten minutes. I latter realized I can not have anyone else around when I clean her enclosure she gets two scared.

herp_haven
03-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Attacks white? That's kind of funny... Do you feed him white rodents? ;) Maybe he thinks anything white is a snack... haha.

Rick
03-31-2005, 06:10 PM
Attacks white? That's kind of funny... Do you feed him white rodents? ;) Maybe he thinks anything white is a snack... haha.

He gets white rodents, black rodents, brown rodents, black and white rodents, heck.. even satin siamese rodents.. but he was like this before I got him. I assume the original owners fed him standard white 'feeder' mice. I raise 'fancy' mice for feeders and avoid too much inbreeding. It keeps the size and health of the mice up better, plus I like playing 'creator' with the whole genetic/gene thing. :P

It is not 'me' he attacks, its the wife. I can shove my hand in safely, but if I toss a papertowel or such in there he flys over and grabs it. It's not a bad thing. but good to know. ;)

Rick

Brisamen
03-31-2005, 07:46 PM
I wish Karel would only attack white things...
He attacks everything wich is moving.
I seriously need to work with him once we have moved to calm him a bit more. Cause if he doesnt we already agreed to sell him again. I can't have an agressive animal in the house with 2 little kids running around.
But he was calm before so I guess he will calm down again when I put the efford and time in it more again when we have moved.

John
04-01-2005, 04:37 PM
The lovely feeding response of these monsters :D