PDA

View Full Version : "Fat tailed gecko"

rico58
04-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I have recently have bought a fat tailed gecko. So far we will not eat. I have small crickets and small meal worms for him, he is a juvenile. Does someone have any ideas?

Next questions are adult size and life span and maybe a more informative caresheet of a e-mail address. :?

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!

Brisamen
04-03-2005, 06:26 PM
well he may have to get used to his new surroundings before he will eat.
But havent you looked into the information about this species before obtaining them...
Do you know the latin name?
than you can use google to find info on the species

rico58
04-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Yes I have, all I found was they :) that are harty eaters. Temps. and substrate. Petshop owner knew less than I.

Brisamen
04-03-2005, 09:15 PM
most petshop owners know zero about the animals they sell...thats the sad truth.
sertanly when it comes to reptiles and such.
If you can give me the latin name I maybe can find some info on the dutch forum for you.
But I am promesing nothing as I am in the midst of moving all of my animals/kids and belongings to my new house ;)

charlene
04-03-2005, 09:25 PM
First thing...how long have you had this little guy because it is common for reptiles to go off feed for a couple days right after you get them. Once they are settled in the problem should clear up. I would bring him (or at least a fecal sample) to a reptile vet to get him checked out as well. Did you ask to see the gecko eat before you purchased him. Most new owners don't but it is a good thing to do before purchasing any animal. As for the care here is a good website:

http://www.anapsid.org/fattailgecko.html

This should tell you almost everything you need to know and since there are a popular pet there should be some good books written on the subject. Good luck with him.

Charlene

charlene
04-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Brisamen the scientific name is Hemitheconyx caudicinctus

Charlene

Brisamen
04-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Oki thanx,
I'll see if I can find some tips from experienced ppl as there are a lot of those on the dutch forum I am on.
Also 2 breeders if I am not mistaken.
Still I think you would be better of and sertanly the animal would be, if you did this resurge BEFORE you bring home an animal...

rico58
04-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Update: Still he hasn't ate yet but the fat tail is odd about their eating habits. They only refer in the care sheets to temp., substrate and lighting all care sheets seem to be very limited on their knowledge of geckos. I did know all the basics before I bought him on April 2, it may be as Charlene said their may be a waiting period before he eats.

I did find out if your temps that will throw their eating off, some will sleep alot (As he does.). My nearest reptile vet for me is 100 mi one way, although he seems to be in very good health.

The pet owner I bought him from said he had eaten the day before so I believed him and have spent a lot of money the past twenty years.

They eat crickets and meal worms every two days or so. Thanks to every one in their time and patience.

herp_haven
04-07-2005, 02:29 AM
Fat tailed geckos are very similiar to Leopard Geckos, diet wise.

rico58
04-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Thank you Tara for your input very much appreciated. Since I first made this post I have tried several different types of foods, the most successful was "baby food"(chicken flavor.) she ate for the first time yesterday. I am awaitig more information Brisaman is going to look for on the Dutch forum.

Since I have read they also like strawberry and apricot. Thanks again!

Sturm
06-13-2005, 12:47 PM
one thing you can always do if they dont appear to be eating the food you put in their cage is try feeding them mealworms with a pair of tongs holding the gecko with one hand and the tongs with the other to make sure they eat, try this once or twice and then feed them like you normally would in their cage