PDA

View Full Version : New Sugar Gliders!

DMeyer
01-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey everyone

I have been absent from these forums for quite some time. But I am hoping to be more active from now on.

Yesterday I picked up a pair sugar gliders, they are sisters.

And DAMN are they a handful! Haha

They aren't very tame right now...they won't bite or anything. But they complain ALOT when I open their cage to get them into their carry pouch so they can become acccustomed to my scent.

Does anyone else own these that can give me some tips on taming them up hopefully? All I am doing now is carrying them in a pouch that goes around your neck...and handling them a few times a day.

Here are pictures of the cage and one of them...they are very difficult to photograph by yourself.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/507/0117072015lz6.jpg

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6563/0117072016pk6.jpg

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8811/0117072021hi8.jpg

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/776/0117070350adm7.jpg

There you go...thanks for looking

Also...I am curious to know what others offer theirs? I am offering mine frozen peas and corn, apples, other fruits and veggies, some yogurt, mealworms, and then I am going to give them ensure once a week or so for calcium.

m432
01-18-2007, 02:28 PM
That is one adorable creature you have there! I'm sure the other is too.

When I inquired at the pet store where I got my Tegu, they told me that Sugar Gliders need to have a companion or else they don't take good care of themselves, so it is good that these sisters get to be together.

The first ones I saw were quite young, and were eating canned mandarin oranges.

Best of luck:)

herp_haven
01-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Try some monkey biscuits soaked in apple juice and some tropical fruit mixes. =)

They are adorable. I haven't owned them myself but I have read up on them before. It sounds like you are doing good so far with the taming.

Daggit_Columbian
01-18-2007, 06:20 PM
you better be careful posting such cute pics d meyer, you live only an hour from me :D lol

DMeyer
01-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Thank you for the kind words everyone!

They are doing excellent! Infact, they are sitting with me as I type this in their carry pouch that goes around my neck =) They are warming up very fast. They have no problem with me putting my arm in the cage to get their food dish and such...and sometimes they will climb up it to try and escape!

Today I gave them a nice mixture of fruits and veggies. And I also gave each of them a few mealworms (which they LOVE). I also gave them a small dish with Ensure in it for calcium

DC - Haha....oh no! Well you'll have to get past my dog first....and if you somehow manage that, my tegu is next in line =) But if you like them iI acquired more that I am going to sell pretty cheap with the cage included. But I can't sell them in PA because it is illegal to buy or sell them here???

reptileking
01-25-2007, 02:37 PM
I used to have a pair of sugargliders, too. They were sisters. They are an amazing pet. Their diet is a little complicated though. I was feeding mine fresh fruits and veggie (freezen veggies looses a nutrient, thiamine?), boiled ground turkey and chicken, a little bit of high quality canned cat food, pelleted sugar glider food, insects, and a powder that you mix with water called Glider-ade. I ended up having like 4 food dishes in their cage. One for water, one for pelleted food, one for glider-ade, and one for everything else.

You can find great information about them on the internet. I can remember (this was several years ago) also adding tofu to their diet, hard boiled egg.

Mine were pretty tame when I got them, but just keep doing what you are. When they would "crab" (the weird sound they make) it would freak me out at first!

My only advise is be sure to have extra pouches for the cage. Their urine is very strong and you will need to wash their pouches fairly regularly. I would try to make them as the ones in the petstores made for animals are very expensive. Just use fleece.

I miss my guys and will someday get more. THey are alot of fun. I know this sounds mean, but it really isnt. But I would take one in my hand and kinda roll them up in a ball and then toss them onto my bed so I could get them to glide! They never tried to bite when I was doing it, so appearantly they didnt mind it either.

Brad

Daggit_Columbian
01-25-2007, 04:05 PM
I know this sounds mean, but it really isnt. But I would take one in my hand and kinda roll them up in a ball and then toss them onto my bed so I could get them to glide! They never tried to bite when I was doing it, so appearantly they didnt mind it either.

ha ha i would want to see them glide too! they are just precious....

Grimlock
01-25-2007, 05:41 PM
is it true that they pee EVERYWHERE? the first time i saw one, i immediately decided i wanted one but my research quickly turned me off when i learned they like to squirt urine through the cage bars, and don't think twice about peeing in your pocket. i had to laugh at that part because the article described them as "the perfect pocket pet!" uhh yeah if you like a wet, stinky pocket i guess! very cute critters though.

ameivasGurl
01-25-2007, 07:45 PM
OMG ive been dieing to get some sugar gliders....... i envy you for having those cute lil' critters ! :D

DMeyer
01-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey, thanks for all the insight!

I only have two dishes. One for Ensure, and one for all of their food. I have a guinea pig type water bottle for them which they do use.

AmeivaGurl - Haha....too bad you live in CA or I would sell you some =) I am keeping two of them and have another two with the cage being sold or traded...depends on where its done at cause the dumb laws =(

Daggit_Columbian
01-26-2007, 03:37 AM
i think ameivagurl and i should plot a break in and steal the little cuties :D

DMeyer
01-26-2007, 10:17 PM
noooo

you dont want to do that
they tweak out if anyone but me goes in their cage, hahaha

gunznrosez13
02-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I made the mistake of getting a pair of sugar gliders over a tegu. That wasn't the mistake. the mistake was they were brother and sis and im a kid and cant afford to neuter one. So i have been housing them seperately for the 2 months I have had them. I have a busy schedule and gliders are just not for me. They are looking for a new home if any of you are interested.

Daggit_Columbian
02-02-2007, 01:31 AM
noooo

you dont want to do that
they tweak out if anyone but me goes in their cage, hahaha

that is very sweet :) cute leetle buggers, i want one, but not till a get a girly tegu for my columbian boy, i promised him :roll:

edit: i just read this again, is it weird to make deals with your pets? have i lost it? :lol:

Bebopfox
05-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Oh cool! I have a couple of them! I'm getting more for breeding!
I love having them!
Here's a list of foods:

Staple foods
Monkey Biscuits
Happy Glider
New World Primate
Insectivore Fare
Exotic Nutrition
Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul

I don't recommend(sp?):
Brisky's
Happy Glider
Quiko/Sunseed
Grocery Store Cat food

Fruits and Veggies
Apples
Oranges
Grapes
Strawberries
Mango
Banana
Kiwi
Avocado
Corn
Green Beans
Peas
Carrots
Plums
Cherries
(etc)

Insects
Mealworms
Crickets
Waxworms
Grasshoppers
Superworms

They can also have yogurt, chicken, turkey, and small quantities of cheese.
They are illegal in California, Georgia, Massachusetts, Alaska, and even where you live in Pennslyvania, so be careful, a few members on a sugar glider forum got fined, and they either got them confiscated or they had to get them out of state.
>^.^<

pitsnherps
02-04-2008, 04:53 AM
They are very cute.
I had a pair for 2 years but I moved into a basement suite and wasn't able to keep them as they were very noisy at night time.
I am owning a place now and would love to get another pair some time.