PDA

View Full Version : freezing fruit mix

shawnathon
04-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Does freezing fruit, lose any nutritional value?

I mix different fruits in a blender and mix them up and place them in an ice cube tray and freeze them. Before feeding them to Hooch, I'l thaw it out.

ALSO
My microwave is on its last leg and occaisionaly the ground turkey gets a little bit cooked. Should I worry about feeding him partially cooked turky?

-Shawn

Rick
04-13-2005, 02:44 AM
I never microwave my turkey. I buy packages of lean ground turkey and then open each package and place the meat into Ziplock(tm) baggies. I then freeze. When I need a package I pull one out and put it in a sink full of hot tap water (still in the ziplock(tm) baggie). It will thaw and warm. I feed and reseal the unused for tomorrow.

As far as freezing and thawing fruits/veggies, I can not answer that. I know fresh would probably be better, but I assume since we freeze and thaw fruits and veggies for our own diet, it must be find for animals too. (But I am not a "Betty Crocker" type guy so don't go on only my word) lol

Rick

drfish
04-13-2005, 12:19 PM
As long as the fruit and veg are 'fast' frozen, they will retain almost all of their natural properties. In a normal slow freeze, you still only stand to lose about 10% nutrients.

As with the turkey, I would also thaw it in warm water. A microwave can encourage bacteria to go into overdrive, which although is quite possibly harmless to a teg, carries a big risk of infecting yourself with salmonella, which believe me is not a pleasant experience. Take the worst diarhoea you've ever had, couple it to violent vomiting, and multiply it by ten.

Brisamen
04-14-2005, 08:29 AM
talking out of experience drfish? Sounds really nasty..
I tend to give my red grapes, he likes them (even our B&W eats them...well only one...maybe by mistake?) and I sometimes let him pluck them from the branches they are on. They thend to stay good a really long time when they are placed in the fridge. I havent found any other fruits he likes altho he will take some banana occasionally (think he doesnt like it sticking to his upper yaw tho :P)
But you can keep fruits good for a long time in your fridge if you didnt cut them up already.
And cutting them every time you want to feed them is as much work as tawing them I think...

drfish
04-14-2005, 12:19 PM
talking out of experience drfish? Sounds really nasty..

Oh yes, had salmonella a few times. Unfortuntely used to live on cheap nasty burger's from dirty burger vans and mobile food vans. Very unpleasant experience let me tell you.