PDA

View Full Version : Cage building?

Bxstorm2nv
04-15-2005, 01:37 AM
:!: Does anyone know what sizes of plywood, screen, plexi glass, and ect....... for a tegu. Right now she is going on 2 feet, but i want her to grow larger into the enclosure i can possibly make her. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

drfish
04-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Ideally, 8' x 4' x 3' high is adequate for a fully grown Teg. If you can afford more space, obviously this would be better for the Teg.

As long as they get plenty of exercise outside the enclosure, you can get away with a minimum 6' x 3' x 2'

Rick
04-15-2005, 12:45 PM
I agree completely with drfish. The larger the better. Eight feet long, four feet wide, three feet tall would be a good size for an adult argentine tegu (black & white or red). The size he posted for a smaller enclosure (6'x3'x2') will work if you are cramped on space, but you should allow free roam of the room/house as much as possible.

You can also be creative if building in a cramped space enviroment. I built my enclosure into the wall. I made it almost triangle in shape. To allow plenty of room I made a two level enclosure for the larger tegus and gave them a 'doggydoor' so they can come and go as they wish. I also made a single level at the very top to hold smaller or sick/rescued tegus, as well as a middle level for lighting, wires, storage, etc.

Keep in mind, I am not a cabinet maker so it's not professionally done, but all of my friends like it. Of course, I know if I was to do it again I would watch for things that didnt turn out as well as I would have wished. This was built with no plan at all. I just started cutting, pounding and driving screws.

Note: I just realized I don't have any "finished" project pictures, but here are a couple of the nearly complete project...

Rick's 'Do It Yourself' Tegu Enclosure, Pic 1 (http://www.thetegu.com/public/bottom%20nearly%20done%20-%20p1.jpg)
Rick's 'Do It Yourself' Tegu Enclosure, Pic 2 (http://www.thetegu.com/public/bottom%20nearly%20done%20-%20p2.jpg)

Rick

Bxstorm2nv
04-16-2005, 03:38 AM
wow thats awsome. Do you guys think the maximum size cage would be good for a 2'9 tagu?

Rick
04-17-2005, 02:01 AM
If you know the max size of your tegu will be 3 feet long, then a 6 foot long, 3 feet wide enclosure is fine. 2.5 to 3 feet tall allows a foot of substrate and room for lighting and such.

Rick