PDA

View Full Version : new to forums and new to tegus

nat
02-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Hello all
I joined this forum in an effort to cram my brain with every possible piece of tegu information that is possible as I just discovered today that I will be caring for (most likely long term) an argentinian black and white tegu. I am not new to reptiles but I have never kept tegus (although I have worked with savs).

Anyways, I will introduce myself. My name is Nat, and I have been keeping reptiles for at least 10 years. My focus is with tortoises and dart frogs but recently I have also become quite interested in a variey of skink species.

I have also been involved in reptile rescue, rehoming and education for the greater part of 10 years (hence the encounter with the tegu next week). I suspect after reading the various care sheets that this animal may become a permanent part of my family :D . My sulcata tortoises and blue tongue skinks were also rescues and after realizing their amazing personalities, I cannot let them go and it sounds like the tegu will not be an exception.

anyways, I look forward to learning all that I can about these amazing animals and hope to have all the help I can get in preparing for the tegu's arrival (one week from today).

Thanks for having me

worleygurl
02-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums! I love sulcattas, dart frogs, and blue tongue skinks! Kudos to you for being involved in rescue. I too rescue. I have had reptiles for about 7 years now. They are certainly my passion, tho I love all animals!

I read your other posts about the tegu you will be taking in. I can't wait to find out what this moron means by "retarded" and "tame" While tegus are typically very social, tame lizards, I am afraid that this one is more lethargic and half dead than tame. Stick around here. There are several members that have a lot of knowledge to share and will help you, along with your vet to get this tegu back to health if it's possible.

Again, welcome to the forums!

nat
02-12-2007, 02:18 PM
thank you!

I too am very hesitent to accept the terms "tame" on any reptile that I get a call on. Most of the time the animal is simply lethargic and sick OR on several occasions with some of the larger constrictors I removed from people's homes, the owner used the word "tame" because they thought that if they admited to me that the snake was nasty I would not come and get it.

So I have learned not to assume anything, hope for the best and plan for the worst. I will be finding out more history about the animal over the next day or so and a pick up on Sunday is tentatively schedualed (its 3 hours away from me). We will just have to wait until then to see what I end up with!

worleygurl
02-12-2007, 02:35 PM
You're welcome. Yes, I have ran into the same types of situations doing rescue. It's horrible. I have also had the opposite problem. I will get a call saying "I have this HUGE iguana and it's terribly nasty. Will you come get it?" I arrive with full battle gear (gloves, towel, etc) to find a 10" iguana that just wants heat and food and some fresh water, and doesn't even open it's mouth at you! Morons! Anyway, keep us posted and keep asking questions. I have dealt with a lot of MBD in iguanas but not in tegus. I read your other post and I would definitely agree with Tupinambis about it being MBD or possibly stomatitis. A good UVB bulb is going to be imperrative. I would go with a Mega Ray Mercury Vapor Bulb for this one, as they have the best UVB output of any bulb on the market. Real sun is definitely the best but I don't imagine you can get the tegu outside right now in Vancouver! Your vet will probably prescribe a prescription strength liquid calcium, such as calcium glubionate (sp) and x-rays certainly wouldn't hurt to see how bad the bone density/structure is. I am sure you know all of this from previous rescues but it never hurts to repeat!

Good luck!