PDA

View Full Version : So now what???

bngr8ful
02-26-2007, 06:04 PM
I always see lots of really basic advice on breeding tegus but have yet to come across anything very specific. My pair are housed indoors and kept in separate 8 foot enclosures. They're aprox. 2.5 years old. They have been cooling all winter and are starting to become more active during the days now. So, I suppose that the next step is to start feeding them again and get them (especially the female) fattened up a bit for the season? When should I start to try to introduce them to each other for breeding attempts? Since they all seem to hatch out around the same time of year, I have to assume that there's a somewhat consistent window of opportunity for breeding? How can I tell if the female is ovulating? And when/if she becomes gravid, how long until she lays? And once the eggs are laid, what's the best way to incubate? I've bred lots of geckos, but they only lay 2 eggs at a time. All I have to do w/ them is stick them in a gladware tub w/ vermiculite and water and mark the top side so as to make sure they stay top up and stick 'em in the hovibator. I'm not sure what to do with a batch of 10 or 20 eggs at once. Do you separate them? Do they need to stay together? Do they need to stay top side up? What temps do you incubate at? And for how long? I've not once come across any care sheets that address this type of info. Since this is supposedly "the" tegu community, I'm hoping to get some real answers from some folks with real experience. Perhaps this info should be added to the FAQs as well.
Thanks in advance!