PDA

View Full Version : REALLY STINKY TEGU...this can't be normal

ElliotJasChief
04-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Hello, my name is elliot and I'm new here. There's a way too lengthy introduction in the "Welcome" forum if you want to get to know me.

So my first question isssssssssssss....

Why does my tegu's crap smell so GOD-AWFUL bad. I mean, I've had a lot of reptiles including some smaller colombians none of my herps have had rose-scented feces, but when Chief 'goes' it's seriously overpowering. He's new around here and I'm not entirely sure what the pet store was feeding him, but I'm concerned about stomach parasites and such. Yeah I know I should probably just take a stool sample to the vet anyways, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this...ummm...unpleasent....experience 8O .

TEGUSFORYOU
04-23-2005, 09:55 AM
lmao well what ya feed them?i know some foods smell worse in the stool then others fish, chickens and turkey seem to have a smelly effect.but a visit to the vet might be sound advice all animals we get should be checked and treated for parasites.

John
04-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Stick to mice/rats and use cypress mulch as a substrate. I never had to much trouble with mine, their poo wasn't that bad either.

Rick
04-23-2005, 04:43 PM
My tegus LOVE bits of banana, but after my first experiance with the "day after effect" they don't get banana too often! :P

Most of the time really smelly stool in an animal you know is caused from a new food that you tried or gave as a treat. Something that just didn't settle right. Mmm Burritos.. but if you don't know the animal it may be wise to get the stool checked by a vet. It for no other reason than so the vet has it to check back against in the future when your tegu is sick.

Rick

ElliotJasChief
04-23-2005, 09:50 PM
HHHHhhhmmm....

I've been leaving a bowl of fruits and veggies out for chief to snack on between normal meals, and he's been eating lots of strawberries and melons and such...my innate instincts as a former iguana owner make me think he needs that stuff, but mabye I need to back it off a little...or invest in a gas mask.

thanx

tegu_girl0
04-24-2005, 02:11 AM
LOL!!

Brisamen
04-24-2005, 08:45 AM
Well fruits and veggies are not such a big deal in a B&W. So if he likes them you can give some once in a while but its not that neccecery as with a red for example.
So dont get that gasmask yet and try to reduce on the fruits and veggies! ;)

spantermany
08-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey there Elliot. Did you ever find an answer to the smell? My hatchling B&W has the same awful smelling poo. Like you described, overpowering. I've been feeding allot of San Diego Diet (ground turkey, vitamins, calcium, and MANGO) Could it be the fruit. Would love some to hear what you found.

Mike

ElliotJasChief
08-02-2005, 10:33 PM
No not really, all six of my tegus have god-awful bad smelling excretions...I guess it's just the way they are...ew.

Well I guess there has to be at least one drawback to owning these wonderful animals. :D

Johelian
08-03-2005, 08:15 PM
I dont know why I didnt see this originally...my first response would probably have been parasites! :) My bearded had them when I first got her and her poo was so horrendous it would clear the whole room. Thinking about it, my tegus was pretty bad when I first got him as well (a lot of lizards will end up with infestations due to the stress of moving them to a new environment) but its nowhere near as terrible now; you almost have to be on top of it before you smell it. Strange.

Diegar
08-03-2005, 11:24 PM
So far, the only time i have smelled Spicoli's poo, is when i open his viv for the first time, since coming home from work. It is just kind of a musky humid thing. Nothing too bad at all. The other day, he pooped on a piece of paper, on my desk, and it didn't stink at all.. Granted, i didn't stick my nose up to it either. So who knows... i do know that he is only taking crickets at this point. He has refused superworms, banana, ground turkey and even hard boiled eggs. But, he is only 6 days old, so i will keep stuffing him full of whatever he wants for right now. This might be the reason he is so odor free in the backside department.

spantermany
08-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Hello. I just stopped feeding the turkey/mango/calcium/vit mix that I had been giving my Argen B&W, and have been feeding pinkies and superworms. I have not smelled that horrible smell in the last week. It is a dramatic differece. judging from what rick said about bananas, I'm going to assume it was the mango.

Diegar
08-09-2005, 11:56 PM
The other day, i got my first whiff of horrible smell when Spicoli pooped on my desk. It was overpowering and made me cringe, but then it was gone. Completely gone. So gone that i stuck my nose down to the poop on my desk and it didn't stink anymore. I seriously think that the smell was a fart!

ElliotJasChief
08-10-2005, 02:45 AM
I've had bad experiences with mango...by which I mean my tegus have had bad experience that is.. :oops: