PDA

View Full Version : UV + Screens

TokayK
04-21-2007, 03:53 AM
Hi everyone,
I was talking to a friend today, and he said that he was told that a study was done showing that a UV light will lose some of its power going through normal screening on the top of an enclosure... Is this true???? :? I'd hate to think that my poor little beardie is'nt getting all the rays he needs. Please let me know, I'm kinda worried.
Thanks

Furless-Friends
04-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Depending on how tight the mesh is then yeah some of the UV will be blocked.

It also depends on the distance between light and the animal

desrptile
04-29-2007, 01:10 PM
It absolutely is blocking/scattering some of the uvb rays from your light. It doesnt matter if you have a mvb or a tube, either or, the metal is going to disperse (sp?) the projection of your bulb.

worleygurl
04-29-2007, 02:52 PM
I have a UVB meter and have tested various bulbs over the years. I have also tested behind various screens, glass, trees, etc. (I like my gadgets and like to play LOL)

Anyway, you know those open air reptariums that are sold? You see a lot of people use them for chams...They block over 45% of the UVB. I have 1/4" hardware cloth which obviously blocks a whole lot less UVB. The bigger the hole/spacing, the less UVB that will be blocked.

Please keep in mind that even tho UVB is blocked/disperssed by screen/mesh, you still need to cover your bulb with something to eliminate the dangers of having a completely exposed bulb.

TokayK
04-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Ok. That makes sense... The way it was mentioned to me, it sounded like UV was mostly blocked no matter what size mesh. I have to admit, it sounded like the idea was poorly researched---and wrong. I have good sized mesh for my beardie and my tegu, I just did not want to have to put the lights inside the enclosures. :)
Thanks!