PDA

View Full Version : Tegu regurgitated meal

Anthony
04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I am very concerned. I just witnessed my tegu regurgitate his meal.

He ate several hours ago, and then, I was sitting in the room. He seemed fine. All of a sudden, he walked around frantically, then opened his mouth like he does when he yawns. I thought What the hell? Then he shook his head side to side VIOLENTLY like something from the exorcist or something then he threw up all that he ate today, 2 fish and a piece of chicken with fruit hidden in it.

I immediately called the vet to book an appointment and said it was an emergency so they let me talk to the vet. This is the only exotics clinic in HK mind you. He said that I probably fed some bad fish and that I don't need to come in. He sounded kind of satirical that I would be concerned over this. I said I would bring him in anyway and he said I can but he would just tell me the same thing he already did.

I am very concerned. Whatthe hell? And what do I do?

Anthony
04-21-2007, 10:45 AM
He seems to be fine. Acting normal, alert and active. Doing his usual digging, basking, digging, basking. I am very worried though. I shudder whenever he yawns and when he moves suddenly even.

I think this is the last straw for me as far as feeding fresh fish.

worleygurl
04-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi Anthony. I understand exactly where you are coming from. It is frightening when a beloved member of our family does something out of character. It's even worse when our vet does not seem to care or want to ease our minds.

That being said, I would not worry at this point. Well, I would but I'm a worrier!

What kind of fish did you feed him? Was it a fish you've never fed before? Is it possible he could have gotten a bone stuck in his mouth/throat, causing him to regurgitate? Was the fish at room room temperature or warmer?

Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Anthony
04-21-2007, 02:54 PM
The fish is the same kind of fish that I always bought. But it was a new batch. Maybe it was bad or something.

He seems fine now. He's eaten a mouse and some meat since. Is crawling and digging like usual. I put some nutribac on the mouse.

I think the fish meat had gone bad. It wasn't anything stuck in his throat as he ate it and it was in his stomach for hours before he threw it all up, including the chicken he ate before he ate the fish. But he seems fine now.

It's the whole exorcist shaking his head thing followed by projectile vomiting that freaked me out I guess. When you see that, you kinda think "this can't be good". But he seems ok.

mike
04-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Glad he's ok. For monitors, regurgitation occurs with too low of basking temps, what are yours? That might be the problem. If he is walking around and doing fine though, I wouldn't worry. :wink:

Anthony
04-21-2007, 08:22 PM
The temps are fine. They are 105 to 110 all the way down to 80 on the other end. It's the same temps everyday. He just suddenly regurged yesterday. So it must have been the food.

Now if only I can solve his shedding problems.