PDA

View Full Version : Superworms...good or bad?

mike
04-28-2007, 03:41 AM
I have been using superworms quite a bit since I got my first herp. I use them even more than crickets. Of course supers can be gutloaded, but I have doubts about their nutritional value. They have a shell, with not as much roughage (wings, legs, skin etc) as crickets or roaches. They are not adults, they are the larval stage of a beetle. I wouldn't expect them to be as nutritious as a cricket or roach. Do you guys use supers as more of an additional food source for variety than a common food item? Has anyone tried supers instead of crickets? I would like to know people's opinions on feeding supers often.

AmeivaBoy
04-28-2007, 07:03 AM
frankly i have been using superworms a lot the last few months as with my busy job schedules i dont have time to sit there and catch roaches (in my bins not native species lol) it's just easier for me to thaw out a mouse and grab a bunch of supers and toss them in a dish for my tegus to feed on while im at work, as far as their nutritional value goes i think they are fine and right on par with crickets, the mix i keep my supers on is oatmeal,chick starter as the majority with tropical fish flakes (protein), calcium and vitamin powders mixed in and i toss them some carrots a few times a week for moisture and they are a decent quality feeder

Bill_S
04-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Superworms are great.

Keep them in 2" of oatmeal and place good quality vegetables like cucumbers, cabbage or broccoli, or fruit like apple halves on top of the oatmeal. Even add a bit of Gerber Mixed Grain Cereal for Baby to the oatmeal. And dust the superworms before feeding them to your tegu (MinerAll sticks to them like glue).

Bill